DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,303,991
|Title:||Method of making particles for use in a pharmaceutical composition|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a method for making composite active particles for use in a pharmaceutical composition for pulmonary administration, the method comprising a milling step in which particles of active material are milled in the presence of particles of an additive material which is suitable for the promotion of the dispersal of the composite active particles upon actuation of an inhaler. The invention also relates to compositions for inhalation prepared by the method.|
|Inventor(s):||Staniforth; John (Bath, GB), Green; Matthew Michael James (Surrey, GB), Morton; David Alexander Vodden (Bath, GB)|
|Assignee:||Vectura Limited (Wiltshire, GB)|
1. Composite active particles for use in a pharmaceutical composition for pulmonary administration, each composite active particle comprising a particle of active
material and particulate additive material on the surface of that particle of active material, wherein the composite active particles have a mass median aerodynamic diameter of not more than 10 .mu.m, and wherein the additive material promotes the
dispersion of the composite active particles upon actuation of a delivery device.
2. Composite active particles as claimed in claim 1, wherein the additive material includes one or more of: an amino acid or derivative thereof; a peptide or derivative thereof; a phospholipid or derivative thereof, a surface active material; or a metal stearate or derivative thereof.
3. Composite active particles as claimed in claim 2, wherein the additive material includes magnesium stearate.
4. Composite active particles as claimed in claim 1, wherein the composite active particles have a mass median aerodynamic diameter of not more than 5 .mu.m, not more than 3 .mu.m or not more than 1 .mu.m.
5. Composite active particles as claimed in claim 1, wherein the active material comprises one or more of: a steroid, a cromone, a .beta..sub.2 agonist, or a leukotriene receptor antagonist.
6. Composite active particles as claimed in claim 1, wherein the active particles comprise terbutaline, salbutamol, salmeterol, formoterol or glycopyrrolate.
7. A pharmaceutical composition comprising composite active particles as claimed in claim 1.
8. A pharmaceutical composition as claimed in claim 7, consisting essentially of only the composite active particles.
9. A pharmaceutical composition as claimed in claim 7, which is a dry powder and is suitable for use in a dry powder inhaler.
10. A pharmaceutical composition as claimed in claim 7, which comprises a propellant and is suitable for use in a pressurized metered dose inhaler.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.