Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Ion binding polymers and uses thereof|
|Abstract:||The present invention provides methods and compositions for the treatment of ion imbalances. In particular, the invention provides compositions comprising potassium binding polymers and pharmaceutical compositions thereof. Methods of use of the polymeric and pharmaceutical compositions for therapeutic and/or prophylactic benefits are disclosed herein. Examples of these methods include the treatment of hyperkalemia, such as hyperkalemia caused by renal failure and/or the use of hyperkalemia causing drugs.|
|Inventor(s):||Charmot; Dominique (Campbell, CA), Chang; Han-Ting (Livermore, CA), Liu; Mingjun (Campbell, CA), Klaerner; Gerrit (San Jose, CA)|
|Assignee:||Relypsa, Inc. (Santa Clara, CA)|
1. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a potassium binding polymer and a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient, the potassium binding polymer being a crosslinked
alpha-fluoroacrylic acid polymer comprising a Ca.sup.2+ cationic counterion.
2. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the potassium binding polymer has a swelling ratio of less than 5.
3. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the potassium binding polymer has a swelling ratio of less than 3.
4. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the alpha-fluoroacrylic acid polymer is crosslinked with divinylbenzene, ethylene bisacrylamide, N,N'-bis(vinylsulfonylacetyl)ethylene diamine, 1,3-bis(vinylsulfonyl) 2-propanol, vinylsulfone, N,N'-methylenebisacrylamide polyvinyl ether, polyallylether, or a combination thereof.
5. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the alpha-fluoroacrylic acid polymer is crosslinked with divinyl benzene.
6. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 in the form of a chewable tablet.
7. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 wherein the potassium-binding polymer is in a bead form.
8. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 1 suitable for oral, intestinal, or rectal administration.
9. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 8 suitable for oral administration.
10. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 8 suitable for intestinal administration.
11. The pharmaceutical composition of claim 8 suitable for rectal administration.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.