DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,267,903
|Abstract:||A casing for an injection device of the type having a safety device which prevents operation of the device, incorporating an actuator means by which the safety means of the device can be actuated to allow operation of the device. Also a casing for a medicament container having an opening closed prior to use by a break-off tip, having relatively moveable first and second casing parts, which on relative movement apply a breaking force to the break-off tip. A preferred embodiment includes both such features.|
|Inventor(s):||Anderson; Gregor John McLennan (Ware, GB), Mitchell; John (London, GB)|
|Assignee:||Zogenix, Inc. (Emeryville, CA)|
1. A needle free injector, comprising a cartridge containing a medicament for injection and having an orifice at one end thereof a drive mechanism for driving the
medicament out of the cartridge via an exit orifice and through skin of a patient; a trigger mechanism which on actuation releases the drive mechanism; a safety mechanism, which in a first configuration prevents the drive mechanism from being actuated
and in a second configuration allows the drive mechanism to be actuated; wherein the safety mechanism operates by obstructing movement of a moveable trigger component; and further comprising: a first casing part; and a second casing part; wherein the
second casing part comprises a removable end cap which closes a nozzle orifice prior to removal of the removable end cap; wherein the needle-free injector is configured such that the drive mechanism cannot be operated before the second casing part has
been removed from an end opening of the first casing part.
2. The needle free injector of claim 1, wherein the moveable trigger mechanism is moved by urging the orifice against the patient's skin.
3. The needle free injector of claim 2: wherein the first casing part forms a cover around the needle free injector.
4. The needle free injector of claim 3, wherein the first casing part comprises an end opening positioned such that the orifice through which the medicament is driven can be brought adjacent to the patient's skin.
5. The needle free injector of claim 4, wherein the second casing part comprises a removable cover for the first casing part end opening.
6. The needle free injector of claim 5, wherein the first casing part is adapted hold the needle free injector non rotatably relative thereto, and the second casing part is rotatable relative to the first casing part.
7. The needle free injector of claim 6, wherein the first and second casing parts are initially connected together by a connector selected from the group consisting of: a screw thread; and a bayonet connection; further wherein moving the second casing part in a rotary motion separates the first and second casing parts to thereby expose the end opening for use.
8. The needle free injector of claim 7, wherein the safety mechanism is configured to prevent inadvertent actuation of the trigger while removing the second casing part.
9. The needle free injector of claim 8, wherein the safety mechanism is a locking mechanism incorporated in the second casing part.
10. The needle free injector of claim 8, wherein the second casing part comprises an actuator mechanism, wherein the movement of the second casing part relative to the first casing part causes the safety mechanism to move from its first configuration to its second configuration.
11. The needle free injector of claim 9, wherein the second casing part incorporates at least one obstructer part which functions to obstruct movement of a part of the injection device which is essential for operation.
12. The needle free injector of claim 9, wherein the safety mechanism comprises an actuator, said actuator further comprising an obstructor part which in a first configuration obstructs, and in a second configuration allows, the movement of the moveable trigger part.
13. The needle free injector of claim 12, wherein the actuator is configured in a form selected from the group consisting of: a button; a tongue; and a lever.
14. The needle free injector of claim 13, wherein the end cap is configured to cover part of the actuator and the action of unscrewing the cap exposes the actuator for use.
15. The needle free injector of claim 14, wherein the actuator is a lever.
16. The needle free injector of claim 15, wherein movement of the lever moves the obstructer part in a direction perpendicular to the direction of relative movement of the trigger part when the orifice is urged against the patient's skin.
17. The needle free injector of claim 16, wherein the actuator is retained in its second configuration after the safety mechanism has been actuated.
18. The needle free injector of claim 17, wherein the actuator being retained is accompanied by an indication selected from the group consisting of a visible indication and audible indication.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.