Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||2.times.2.times.2 week dosing regimen for treating actinic keratosis with pharmaceutical compositions formulated with 3.75 % imiquimod|
|Abstract:||Pharmaceutical formulations and methods for the topical or transdermal delivery of 1-isobutyl-1H-imidazo[4,5-c]-quinolin-4-amine or 1-(2-methylpropyl)-1H-imidazo[4,5-c]quinolin-4-amine, i.e., imiquimod, to treat actinic keratosis with short durations of therapy, than currently prescribed for the commercially available ALDARA 5% imiquimod cream, as now approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration ("FDA"), are disclosed and described. More specifically, lower dosage strength imiquimod formulations to deliver an efficacious dose of imiquimod for treating actinic keratosis with an acceptable safety profile and dosing regimens that are short and more convenient for patient use than the dosing regimen currently approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration ("FDA") for ALDARA 5% imiquimod cream to treat actinic keratosis are also disclosed and described.|
|Inventor(s):||Nordsiek; Michael T. (Wayne, PA), Levy; Sharon F. (Philadelphia, PA), Lee; James H. (Devon, PA), Kulp; James H. (West Chester, PA), Balaji; Kodumudi S. (Lansdale, PA), Meng; Tze-Chiang (Lino Lakes, MN), Wu; Jason J. (Wayne, PA), Bahm; Valyn S. (Phoenixville, PA), Babilon; Robert (Boyertown, PA)|
|Assignee:||Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation (Scottsdale, AZ)|
1. A method of treating actinic keratoses (AK) in an immunocompetent adult patient in need thereof in a six week treatment course, the method comprising: (a) topically
applying a 3.75% (w/w) imiquimod composition once daily to the full face or balding scalp of the immunocompetent adult patient over a first two-week treatment period; and (b) topically applying a 3.75% (w/w) imiquimod composition once daily to the frill
face or balding scalp of the immunocompetent adult patient over a second two-week treatment period; wherein the first treatment period and the second treatment period are separated by one, two-week non-treatment period during which no imiquimod is
applied to the immunocompetent adult patient; wherein the method of treating actinic keratoses is completed in six weeks; and wherein in performance of the method the imiquimod is the sole active pharmaceutical ingredient required to be applied to the
inn face or scalp of the immunocompetent adult patient.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein 250-500 mg of the imiquimod composition is applied.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the imiquimod composition is not removed from the skin for about eight hours.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein 9.3 mg to 18.8 mg of imiquimod is applied daily.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein 65.6 mg to 131.3 mg of imiquimod is applied in one week of the two-week treatment period.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein 131.2 mg to 262.5 mg of imiquimod is applied in a two-week treatment period.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein 262.5 mg to 525 mg of imiquimod is applied in a 6-week treatment course.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein performance of the method results in complete clearance of the actinic keratoses in the immunocompetent adult patient.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein application of the method in a population of immunocompetent adult patients results in a statistically significant improvement in the percent of total clearance in actinic keratoses as compared to treatment with placebo.
10. The method of claim 9, wherein application of the method in the population of immunocompetent adult patients results in about 25% or greater complete clearance of actinic keratoses in the immunocompetent adult patients in the population.
11. The method of claim 1, wherein the AK is clinically typical, visible or palpable.
12. The method of claim 1, wherein applying the 3.75% imiquimod composition increases the number of AK lesions for some period of time.
13. The method of claim 1, wherein application of 3.75% imiquimod continues in a two-week treatment period even if no actinic keratoses are visible.
14. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is applied to the full face.
15. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is applied to the balding scalp.
16. The method of claim 1 or claim 12, wherein the full face is at least 200-250 cm.sup.2.
17. The method of claim 3, wherein the eight hours is overnight.
18. The method of claim 1, wherein the method results in clearance of at least 75% of the baseline actinic keratoses.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.