Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Drug condensation aerosols and kits|
|Abstract:||The present invention provides novel condensation aerosols for the treatment of disease and/or intermittent or acute conditions. These condensation aerosols have little or no pyrolysis degradation products and are characterized by having an MMAD of between 1-3 microns. These aerosols are made by rapidly heating a substrate coated with a thin film of drug having a thickness of between 0.05 and 20 .mu.m, while passing a gas over the film, to form particles of a desirable particle size for inhalation. Kits comprising a drug and a device for producing a condensation aerosol are also provided. The device contained in the kit typically, has an element for heating the drug which is coated as a film on the substrate and contains a therapeutically effective dose of a drug when the drug is administered in aerosol form, and an element allowing the vapor to cool to form an aerosol. Also disclosed, are methods for using these aerosols and kits.|
|Inventor(s):||Hale; Ron L. (Woodside, CA), Hodges; Craig C. (Walnut Creek, CA), Lloyd; Peter M. (Walnut Creek, CA), Lu; Amy T. (Los Altos, CA), Myers; Daniel J. (Mountain View, CA), Rabinowitz; Joshua D. (Princeton, NJ), Wensley; Martin J. (Los Gatos, CA), McKinney; Jeffrey A. (Lafayette, CA), Zaffaroni; Alejandro C. (Atherton, CA)|
|Assignee:||Alexza Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Mountain View, CA)|
1. A drug supply article comprising: a heat-conductive substrate having an impermeable surface; a drug composition comprising the drug coated on at least a portion of the
surface in the form of a film having a thickness; and a heat source operable to supply heat to the substrate at a rate that achieves a temperature sufficient to vaporize all or a portion of the coated drug composition within a period of 2 seconds;
wherein the drug composition is vaporized followed by condensation of the vapor to form an aerosol; wherein the aerosol drug composition comprises a therapeutically effective amount of the drug; wherein the film has a thickness between 0.05 and 20
microns; wherein the drug is selected from the group consisting of alprazolam, fentanyl, loxapine, prochlorperazine and zaleplon.
2. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is in a free base form.
3. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is in a salt form.
4. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug composition comprises only pure drug.
5. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug composition comprises a pharmaceutically acceptable excipient.
6. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is alprazolam.
7. The drug supply article of claim 6, wherein the film thickness is between 0.1 and 10 microns.
8. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is loxapine.
9. The drug supply article of claim 8, wherein the film thickness is between 1 and 20 microns.
10. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is prochlorperazine.
11. The drug supply article of claim 10, wherein the film thickness is between 0.1 and 20 microns.
12. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is zaleplon.
13. The drug supply article of claim 12, wherein the film thickness is between 0.1 and 15 microns.
14. The drug supply article of claim 1, wherein the drug is fentanyl.
15. The drug supply article of claim 14, wherein the film thickness is between 0.05 and 5 microns.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.