Generated: April 27, 2017
|Title:||Low viscosity, highly flocculated triamcinolone acetonide suspensions for intravitreal injection|
|Abstract:||Triamcinolone acetonide suspension compositions are disclosed. The suspension compositions have a relatively low viscosity and are easy to extrude through a 27- or 30-gauge needle but are highly flocculated and easily redispersed. The compositions are particularly suitable for intravitreal injection.|
|Inventor(s):||Kabra; Bhagwati P. (Euless, TX), Sarkar; Ruma (Fort Worth, TX)|
|Assignee:||Alcon Research, Ltd. (Fort Worth, TX)|
1. An aqueous suspension composition particularly suited for injection into the eye, wherein the suspension composition does not contain a preservative, has a pH from
6-7.5, a viscosity of 2-12 cps, and a Degree of Flocculation of about 9.5 or greater, and wherein the suspension composition consists essentially of: a) 4% (w/v) triamcinolone acetonide having a mean volume diameter of 3-10 .mu.m; b) 0.5% (w/v) sodium
carboxymethylcellulose; c) 0.002-0.015% (w/v) polysorbate 80; d) one or more pharmaceutically acceptable chloride salts selected from the group consisting of sodium chloride, potassium chloride. calcium chloride, and magnesium chloride as
tonicity-adjusting agents in a total amount sufficient to cause the suspension composition to have an osmolality from 250-350 mOsm; e) a buffering agent; f) water for injection; and g) optionally a pH-adjusting agent.
2. The suspension composition of claim 1 wherein the sodium carboxymethylcellulose has a molecular weight such that a 2% (w/v) solution of the sodium carboxymethylcellulose in water at 25.degree. C. has a viscosity of 25-50 cps.
3. The suspension composition of claim 1 wherein the concentration of polysorbate 80 is 0.015% (w/v).
4. The suspension composition of claim 1 wherein the suspension composition comprises 0.4-0.6% (w/v) sodium chloride, 0.05-0.1% (w/v) potassium chloride, 0.04-0.06% (wlv) calcium chloride, and 0.01-0.04% (w/v) magnesium chloride.
5. The suspension composition of claim 1 wherein the buffering agent comprises sodium acetate and sodium citrate.
6. The suspension composition of claim 1 wherein the suspension composition has a viscosity of 2-9 cps.
7. The suspension composition of claim 6 wherein the suspension composition has a viscosity of 2-8 cps.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.