DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,122,917
|Title:||Apparatus and method for dispensing foam|
|Abstract:||A foam transfer device is described, for use with aerosol canister apparatus for producing a sclerosant foam for the treatment of, inter alia, varicose veins. The device enables diversion of an initial quantity of below-specification foam from the canister to waste, e.g. to an integral waste chamber, before dispensing a further quantity of foam for use in treatment. The switching of the flow from the waste chamber to a different outlet for use is accomplished without interrupting the flow from the aerosol canister since this would cause the foam to drop below specification again. The waste chamber may be transparent so that the foam entering it can be observed and a decision made by a user when to stop diverting foam to waste. Alternatively, the foam may be diverted automatically e.g. when a set time has elapsed or a set volume of foam dispensed. The foam for use is normally dispensed into a syringe for subsequent injection into a varicose vein of a patient.|
|Inventor(s):||Harman; Anthony David (Oxon, GB), Wright; David Dakin Iowerth (High Waycombe, GB), Mijers; Jam Wilem Marinus (Haarlem, NL), Kay; Stuart Brian William (Cambridge, GB), Hurlstone; Christopher John (Cambridge, GB), Dixon; Julina Richard (Cambridge, GB), Pocock; Andrew Gordon (Cambridge, GB), Hogan; Brendan (Co Galway, IE)|
|Assignee:||BTG International Limited (London, GB)|
1. A device for dispensing therapeutic foam comprising: (a) a source of foam; (b) an inlet for communication with the source of foam; (c) a usable foam outlet; (d)
a waste outlet; and (e) a valve system connecting the inlet, usable foam outlet and waste outlet, wherein the valve has: (i) a first state in which the inlet communicates via the valve system with the waste outlet, substantially to the exclusion of
communication with the usable foam outlet; (ii) a second state in which the inlet communicates with the usable foam outlet; wherein during movement of the valve system between the first and second states, at no point is communication of the inlet with
one or other of the usable foam and waste outlets shut off.
2. A device as claimed in claim 1 wherein a waste foam container is provided as an integral part of the device.
3. A device as claimed in claim 2 wherein the waste foam container has a transparent wall or portion of a wall to allow observation of the wasted foam so that the user can check when the foam is of sufficient consistent quality to be used.
4. A device as claimed in claim 2 comprising a housing which defines the outlets and which also defines the waste foam container.
5. A kit comprising a device as claimed in claim 1 together with a canister containing a source of liquid and gas for generating the foam.
6. A kit as claimed in claim 5 further comprising a syringe for administration of the foam.
7. A device as claimed in claim 1 wherein the waste chamber contains absorbent material.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.