Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
|Title:||Apparatus and method for dispensing foam|
|Abstract:||A foam transfer device is described, for use with aerosol canister apparatus for producing a sclerosant foam for the treatment of, inter alia, varicose veins. The device enables diversion of an initial quantity of below-specification foam from the canister to waste, e.g. to an integral waste chamber, before dispensing a further quantity of foam for use in treatment. The switching of the flow from the waste chamber to a different outlet for use is accomplished without interrupting the flow from the aerosol canister since this would cause the foam to drop below specification again. The waste chamber may be transparent so that the foam entering it can be observed and a decision made by a user when to stop diverting foam to waste. Alternatively, the foam may be diverted automatically e.g. when a set time has elapsed or a set volume of foam dispensed. The foam for use is normally dispensed into a syringe for subsequent injection into a varicose vein of a patient.|
|Inventor(s):||Harman; Anthony David (Oxon, GB), Wright; David Dakin Iowerth (High Waycombe, GB), Mijers; Jam Wilem Marinus (Haarlem, NL), Kay; Stuart Brian William (Cambridge, GB), Hurlstone; Christopher John (Cambridge, GB), Dixon; Julina Richard (Cambridge, GB), Pocock; Andrew Gordon (Cambridge, GB), Hogan; Brendan (Co Galway, IE)|
|Assignee:||BTG International Limited (London, GB)|
1. A device for dispensing therapeutic foam comprising: (a) a source of foam; (b) an inlet for communication with the source of foam; (c) a usable foam outlet; (d)
a waste outlet; and (e) a valve system connecting the inlet, usable foam outlet and waste outlet, wherein the valve has: (i) a first state in which the inlet communicates via the valve system with the waste outlet, substantially to the exclusion of
communication with the usable foam outlet; (ii) a second state in which the inlet communicates with the usable foam outlet; wherein during movement of the valve system between the first and second states, at no point is communication of the inlet with
one or other of the usable foam and waste outlets shut off.
2. A device as claimed in claim 1 wherein a waste foam container is provided as an integral part of the device.
3. A device as claimed in claim 2 wherein the waste foam container has a transparent wall or portion of a wall to allow observation of the wasted foam so that the user can check when the foam is of sufficient consistent quality to be used.
4. A device as claimed in claim 2 comprising a housing which defines the outlets and which also defines the waste foam container.
5. A kit comprising a device as claimed in claim 1 together with a canister containing a source of liquid and gas for generating the foam.
6. A kit as claimed in claim 5 further comprising a syringe for administration of the foam.
7. A device as claimed in claim 1 wherein the waste chamber contains absorbent material.