|Title:||Dosage unit comprising a prostaglandin analog for treating constipation|
|Abstract:||A dosage unit for treating constipation in a human patient is described. The dosage unit of the invention comprises a halogenated prostaglandin analog and a pharmaceutically suitable excipient. The dosage unit relieves constipation without substantial side effects.|
|Inventor(s):||Ueno; Ryuji (Montgomery, MD), Patchen; Myra L. (Fairfax, VA)|
|Assignee:||Sucampo AG (Zug, CH)|
1. A method for relieving constipation in a human patient in need of relief of constipation that comprises administering to the patient a dosage unit comprising (i) 24
.mu.g+/-10% of a PG analog represented by Formula (I) and/or its tautomer and (ii) a pharmaceutically suitable excipient: ##STR00013## where A.sub.1 and A.sub.2 are fluorine atoms and B is --COOH, including its pharmaceutically acceptable salts, esters
or amides, to thereby relieve constipation in the patient, wherein said dosage unit is administered enough times per day so that the total daily dose of the PG analog is in the range of about 48-72 .mu.g.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said PG analog is a monocyclic tautomer of formula (I).
3. The method of claim 1, wherein said pharmaceutically suitable excipient is orally acceptable.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein said pharmaceutically suitable excipient is a medium chain fatty acid.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein said dosage unit is administered enough times per day so that the total daily dose of the PG analog is about 48 .mu.g.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the amount of the PG analog in the dosage unit is 24 .mu.g.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein B is --COOH.