Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Aeorosolization apparatus with air inlet shield|
|Abstract:||An aerosolization apparatus comprises a housing defining a chamber having a plurality of air inlets. The chamber contains an aerosolizable pharmaceutical formulation or is sized to receive a receptacle which contains an aerosolizable pharmaceutical formulation. A shield covers at least one of the air inlets or a portion of at least one of the air inlets. The shield prevents blockage of the air inlet by a user grasping the apparatus and inadvertently covering the air inlet. An end section is associated with the housing. The end section is sized and shaped to be received in a user's mouth or nose so that the user may inhale through the end section to inhale aerosolized pharmaceutical formulation that has exited the receptacle.|
|Inventor(s):||Dunkley; Michael John (Nottingham, GB), Tuckwell; Jon David (Cambridgeshire, GB), Vernon-Harcourt; Edward William (Cambridge, GB), Shirgoankar; Sameer (London, GB)|
|Assignee:||Novartis AG (Basel, CH)|
1. A handheld aerosolization apparatus comprising: a housing having at least two air inlets, the inlets configured and dimensioned to produce a swirling airflow; an
endpiece comprising a perforated member and an aerosolized pharmaceutical formulation outlet, the endpiece being connectable to the housing to define a chamber, the chamber being sized to receive a capsule which contains an aerosolizable pharmaceutical
formulation, the endpiece further comprising a shield which covers at least one air inlet, wherein the shield comprises at least one covering portion, whereby the covering portion prevents blockage of at least one air inlet by a user grasping the
apparatus; and a puncturing mechanism disposed within the housing for creating one or more openings in the capsule, the puncturing mechanism comprising an alignment guide and a puncture member, wherein the alignment guide comprises a surface which
advances to contact and align the capsule while the alignment guide and puncture member are advanced into the capsule to create an opening in the capsule, and wherein the surface comprises one or more protrusions for contacting the capsule.
2. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the shield comprises at least two covering portions intermediate to two open portions.
3. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the shield comprises at least four covering portions intermediate to at least four open portions.
4. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the shield covering portions and open portions are displaced from said air inlets.
5. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the endpiece is removably connected to the housing and wherein the endpiece may be removed from the housing to provide access to the chamber.
6. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the shield extends longitudinally along the apparatus.
7. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the shield extends transversely along the apparatus.
8. An apparatus according to claim 1 wherein the chamber is elongated and wherein the capsule is received lengthwise within the elongated chamber.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.