Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Ocular implant made by a double extrusion process|
|Abstract:||The invention provides biodegradable implants sized for implantation in an ocular region and methods for treating medical conditions of the eye. The implants are formed from a mixture of hydrophilic end and hydrophobic end PLGA, and deliver active agents into an ocular region without a high burst release.|
|Inventor(s):||Shiah; Jane-Guo (Irvine, CA), Bhagat; Rahul (Irvine, CA), Blanda; Wendy M. (Tustin, CA), Nivaggioli; Thierry (Los Altos, CA), Peng; Lin (Palo Alto, CA), Chou; David (Palo Alto, CA), Weber; David A. (Danville, CA)|
|Assignee:||Allergan, Inc. (Irvine, CA)|
1. A bioerodible implant for treating a medical condition of the eye comprising a continuous, double extruded rod including an active agent homogeneously dispersed within a
biodegradable polymer matrix, wherein the biodegradable polymer matrix comprises a mixture of PLGA having hydrophilic end groups and PLGA having hydrophobic end groups, and wherein the bioerodible implant is sized for implantation in an ocular region.
2. The bioerodible implant of claim 1 wherein the active agent is selected from the group consisting of ace-inhibitors, endogenous cytokines, agents that influence basement membrane, agents that influence the growth of endothelial cells, adrenergic agonists or blockers, cholinergic agonists or blockers, aldose reductase inhibitors, analgesics, anesthetics, antiallergics, anti-inflammatory agents, antihypertensives, pressors, antibacterials, antivirals, antifungals, antiprotozoals, anti-infective agents, antitumor agents, antimetabolites, and antiangiogenic agents.
3. The bioerodible implant of claim 1 wherein the active agent comprises an anti-inflammatory agent or any derivative thereof.
4. The bioerodible implant of claim 3 wherein the active agent comprises a steroidal anti-inflammatory agent or any derivative thereof.
5. The bioerodible implant of claim 4 wherein the active agent is selected from the group consisting of cortisone, dexamethasone, fluocinolone, hydrocortisone, methylprednisolone, prednisolone, prednisone, triamcinolone, and any derivative thereof.
6. The bioerodible implant of claim 5 wherein the active agent comprises dexamethasone.
7. The bioerodible implant of claim 6 wherein said hydrophilic end group is carboxyl, hydroxyl, polyethylene glycol, or a combination thereof.
8. A method for treating a medical condition of the eye in a subject comprising implanting into an ocular region of the subject the bioerodible implant of claim 1 and delivering a therapeutic amount of an active agent to the ocular region.
9. A bioerodible implant for treating a medical condition of the eye comprising a continuous, double extruded rod including dexamethasone homogeneously dispersed within a PLGA polymer matrix, wherein the bioerodible implant comprises approximately 60% by weight dexamethasone, approximately 30% by weight PLGA polymers having end groups consisting of --COOH, and approximately 10% by weight PLGA polymers having end groups consisting of the formula --COOR wherein R=alkyl, and wherein the bioerodible implant is sized for implantation in an ocular region.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.