Generated: May 29, 2017
|Title:||Daptomycin for the treatment of biofilm and catheter salvage|
|Abstract:||Daptomycin can be used for biofilm treatment (particularly central venous catheter salvage for S. epidermidis infected catheters). Catheter salvage with daptomycin shows rapid cidality, activity against stationary phase bacteria, and penetration and activity in biofilms. The present inventions provide formulations, methods, and articles of manufacture useful for biofilm treatment or catheter salvage involving daptomycin. Particular formulations include daptomycin in lactated Ringer's solution having a rapid kill curve against the bacteria of the biofilm.|
|Inventor(s):||Alder; Jeffrey (Harvard, MA), Silverman; Jared (Brookline, MA), Mortin; Lawrence (Framingham, MA), Van Praagh; Andrew (Chelmsford, MA)|
|Assignee:||Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Lexington, MA)|
1. A method for treating a biofilm, comprising providing a solution of daptomycin in a lactated Ringer's solution to a biofilm.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the biofilm is treated with the solution at least 30 minutes.
3. The method of claim 1, further comprising applying the solution to the biofilm until the biofilm is reduced.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the biofilm is reduced and does not reoccur.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the solution is applied to the biofilm for about 30 minutes.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the solution is administered twice per day.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the solution is administered at least four times per day.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the concentration of daptomycin in the solution is at least 1 mg/mL.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the concentration of daptomycin in the solution is at least 5 mg/mL.
10. A method of treating or preventing a biofilm, the method comprising exposing a surface of a device to a solution comprising daptomycin and calcium.
11. The method of claim 10, where the surface forms a portion of a catheter.
12. The method of claim 10, where the surface is an inner luminal surface of a catheter, and the surface is exposed to the solution by catheter lock therapy.
13. The method of claim 10, where the solution comprises about 5 mg/mL daptomycin and a physiological concentration of calcium.
14. The method of claim 12, where the catheter lock therapy comprises exposing a surface of the catheter to the solution for about 18 hours.
15. The method of claim 10, where the solution comprises daptomycin and lactated Ringer's solution.
16. The method of claim 11, further comprising performing a heparin flush of the catheter.
17. The method of claim 11, where the surface is exposed to the solution for at least about 30 minutes and the solution comprises about 5 mg/mL of daptomycin.
18. The method of claim 11, where the catheter is a central venous catheter.
19. The method of claim 10, where the method is a method of treating a biofilm in a catheter, the surface is an inner luminal surface of the catheter, and the solution comprises about 5 mg/mL daptomycin in lactated Ringer's solution.
20. A kit for the treatment of biofilm in a catheter comprising lactated Ringer's solution having daptomycin in an amount sufficient to treat the biofilm.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.