DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 8,003,353
|Title:||Cyanocobalamin low viscosity aqueous formulations for intranasal delivery|
|Abstract:||A stable pharmaceutical mercury-free aqueous solution of cyanocobalamin comprised of cyanocobalamin and water wherein said solution of cyanocobalamin is suitable for intranasal administration, has a viscosity less than about 1000 cPs, and wherein said solution of cyanocobalamin has a bioavailability of cyanocobalamin when administered intranasally of at least about 7% relative to an intramuscular injection of cyanocobalamin with the proviso that the solution is essentially free of mercury and mercury-containing compounds. The present invention is also directed towards a method for elevating the vitamin B12 levels in the cerebral spinal fluid (CSF) comprising administering intranasally a sufficient amount of a mercury-free cyanocobalamin solution so as to increase the average ratio of vitamin B12 in the CSF to that in the blood serum (B12 CSF/B12 Serum.times.100) to at least about 1.1 comprising intranasally administering an aqueous solution of a cyanocobalamin, wherein said solution of cyanocobalamin has a bioavailability of at least 7% relative to an intramuscular injection of a cyanocobalamin.|
|Inventor(s):||Quay; Steven C. (Edmonds, WA), Aprile; Peter C. (East Northport, NY), Go; Zenaida O. (Clifton, NJ), Sileno; Anthony P. (Brookhaven Hamlet, NY)|
|Assignee:||Par Pharmaceutical, Inc. (Woodcliff Lake, NJ)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 8,003,353|
1. A method for administering cyanocobalamin comprised of providing an aqueous solution of cyanocobalamin wherein said aqueous solution of cyanocobalamin is comprised of
cyanocobalamin at a concentration of about 0.5% of total weight of solution, citric acid at a concentration of about 0.12%, sodium citrate at a concentration of about 0.32%, glycerin at a concentration of about 2.23%, benzalkonium chloride at
concentration of about 0.02% and water, wherein said solution of cyanocobalamin is suitable for intranasal administration and has a viscosity less than about 1000 cPs, with the proviso that the solution of cyanocobalamin contains no mercury or
mercury-containing compounds, and wherein the cyanocobalamin solution is administered into a nose of an individual through an actuator tip as a spray, wherein the spray has a spray pattern ellipticity ratio of from about 1.0 to about 1.4 when measured at
a height of 3.0 cm from the actuator tip.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the cyanocobalamin spray produces droplets of the solution, wherein less than 5% of the droplets are less than 10 .mu.m in size.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein the cyanocobalamin spray produces droplets of the solution, and wherein 50% of the droplets are 26.9 .mu.m or less in size.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the cyanocobalamin spray produces droplets of the solution, and wherein 90% of the droplets are 55.3 .mu.m or less in size.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the cyanocobalamin spray produces droplets of the solution, and wherein 10% of the droplets are 12.5 .mu.m or less in size.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the spray has a spray pattern major axis and a minor axis of about 25-40 mm each.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.