Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Transdermal methods and systems for the delivery of anti-migraine compounds|
|Abstract:||Iontophoretic patches for the delivery of anti-migraine compounds and methods of using the patches are described.|
|Inventor(s):||Anderson; Carter R. (Inver Grove Heights, MN), Morris; Russell L. (Lindstrom, MN), Sebree; Terri B. (Gladwyne, PA)|
|Assignee:||NuPathe, Inc. (Conshohocken, PA)|
1. A method for treating a migraine in a human, the method comprising: administering an anti-migraine agent in the form of a triptan compound to said human using an
integrated iontophoretic transdermal patch, wherein the triptan is delivered in a delivery sequence which includes: an initial first stage delivery wherein current densities average between about 0.05 and about 0.20 mA/cm.sup.2 during a significant
portion of the initial first stage delivery such that a therapeutically effective dosage level in less than one hour is provided to the subject, wherein the therapeutically effective dosage level is a plasma concentration of greater than 10 ng/mL; and a
second stage delivery wherein current densities average between about 0.01 and about 0.2 mA/cm.sup.2 during a significant portion of said second stage delivery such that a maintenance level is provided for one or more hours, wherein said current
densities of said first stage and said second stage are selected such that said current densities do not substantially irritate said human's skin.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein said anti-migraine agent is selected from sumatriptan and salts thereof.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the maintenance level is a plasma concentration of the anti-migraine agent of about 10 ng/mL or greater.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the average current density is about 0.1 mA/cm.sup.2 during a significant portion of the initial first stage delivery.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the average current density is about 0.05 mA/cm.sup.2 during a significant portion of the second stage delivery.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the maintenance level is provided for about four hours or greater.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the maintenance level is provided for about six hours or greater.
8. The method of claim 6, wherein the current densities are selected such that usage of the patch does not result in a skin erythema score of greater than 2.00 immediately after patch removal.
9. The method of claim 8, wherein the current densities are selected such that usage of the patch does not result in a skin erythema score of greater than 1.00 immediately after patch removal.
10. The method of claim 8, wherein the human is treated without substantial side effects.
11. The method of claim 10, wherein the iontophoretic patch comprises an electrode which does not react to form an insoluble salt of the triptan compound.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein the iontophoretic patch includes an electrode comprising zinc or a zinc coating.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein the triptan is formulated in a flowable hydrogel.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.