DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Email this page to a colleague
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,935,690
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical composition comprising: (A) an androgen; (B) a cyclic enhancer of the type used in the compositions and methods claimed by U.S. Pat. No. 5,023,252 to Hsieh; and (C) a thickening agent; including, for example, a composition in which the cyclic enhancer is a macrocyclic ester or a macrocyclic ketone; the use of the composition to treat a condition, for example, male hypogonadism, in a patient by applying the composition to the membrane of the patient; and a method for making the composition.|
|Inventor(s):||Gyurik; Robert J. (Exeter, NH)|
|Assignee:||CPEX Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Exeter, NH)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 7,935,690|
1. A method for maintaining a therapeutically effective concentration of an androgen in the blood serum of a male for treating of hypogonadism which comprises
transdermally delivering to the male by applying to the skin a composition which is in the form of a topical gel, which has a viscosity of about 500 to about 20,000 cps and a pH of about 3 to about 9, and comprises: (A) about 0.1 to about 5 wt. % of an
androgen selected from the group consisting of testosterone, DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone), pregnenolone, progesterone, 17-OH-progesterone, and androsterone; (B) about 8 to about 25 wt. % of a macrocyclic enhancer selected from the group consisting of
3-methylcyclopentadecanone, 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one, cyclohexadecanone, cyclopentadecanone, oxacyclohexadecan-2-one and mixtures thereof; and (C) about 0.1 to about 10 wt. % of a thickening agent; (D) a mixture of solvents which include about 40 wt. %
to about 80% of ethanol.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition further comprises polyethylene glycol.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the polyethylene glycol is present in an amount that ranges from about 0.001 to about 5 wt. %.
4. The method of claim 1 the viscosity ranges from about 1,000 cps to about 9,000 cps.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the viscosity ranges from about 2,000 cps to about 8,000 cps.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the viscosity ranges from about 3,000 cps to about 7,000 cps.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the pH ranges from about 4 to about 8.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein ethanol ranges from about 50 wt. % to about 75 wt. %.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein ethanol ranges from about 60 wt. % to about 75 wt. %.
10. The method of claim 9 further comprising propylene glycol.
11. The method of claim 10 further comprising glycerin.
12. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is oxacyclohexadecan-2-one.
13. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 3-methylcyclopentadecanone.
14. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one.
15. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclohexadecanone.
16. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclopentadecanone.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.