|Title:||Crystalline and amorphous forms of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine|
|Abstract:||Physical forms of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine are disclosed that can be characterized by physical appearance, purity levels, Infra-Red and Raman spectroscopy, X-ray powder diffraction patterns, thermal properties, and methods of manufacture. These forms of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine can be used in the manufacture of other forms of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine, or in pharmaceutical compositions. Particularly preferred uses are in the treatment of hepatitis B.|
|Inventor(s):||Jonaitis; David (West Lafayette, IN), Storer; Richard (Kent, GB)|
|Assignee:||Novartis Pharma AG (Basel, CH)|
1. A non-solvated crystalline form of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine devoid of waters of association, having less than 0.1% weight loss at 5% relative humidity, 1.1% weight
gain at 95% relative humidity and 1.1% weight loss from 95%-5% relative humidity.
2. A non-solvated crystalline form of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine devoid of waters of association and having the X-ray powder diffraction pattern shown in FIG. 1.
3. The beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine of claim 1 or 2 prepared by crystallizing beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine from solution, optionally filtering said crystallized belta-L-2'-deoxythymidine, and drying said beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine in an environment comprising less than about 40% relative humidity.
4. A pharmaceutical formulation comprising the non-solvated crystalline form of beta-L-2'-deoxythymidine according to claim 1 or 2.
5. The pharmaceutical formulation according to claim 4 in an oral solid form.
6. The oral solid formulation of claim 5 further comprising at least one of an inert diluent, an edible carrier, excipient, a compatible binding agent, glidant, lubricant or adjuvant material.
7. The oral solid formulation of claim 6 wherein the binding agent is microcrystalline cellulose, the excipient is starch, the glidant is colloidal silicon dioxide, and the lubricant is magnesium stearale.
8. The oral solid formulation of claim 6 in the form of a tablet, troche or capsule.
9. The oral solid formulation of claim 8 having a dosage unit of 50-1000 mg.
10. The oral solid formulation of claim 8 in the form of a tablet having a dosage unit of 50-1000 mg.
11. The tablet of claim 10 comprising a coating of sugar, shellac or other enteric agent.
12. A method of treating hepatitis B in a human subject comprising administering the oral solid formulation of claim 9.
13. A method of treating hepatitis B in a human subject comprising administering the oral solid formulation of claim 10.
14. A method of treating hepatitis B virus comprising administering to a human afflicted with Hepatitis B virus the oral solid formulation of claim 9.
15. A method of treating hepatitis B virus comprising administering to a human afflicted with Hepatitis B virus the oral solid formulation of claim 10.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.