Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Extended release formulation of levetiracetam|
|Abstract:||An extended release pharmaceutical composition of Levetiracetam with once a day dosage regime and the process of preparing it. The extended release tablet of Levetiracetam is with the core comprising of Levetiracetam and water dispersible rate controlling polymer, and the tablet core is optionally functional coated comprising a combination of water non-dispersible and/or water dispersible polymer. It provides extended therapeutically effective plasma levels over a twenty four hour period with diminished incidences of neuropsychiatric adverse events by eliminating the troughs and peaks of drug concentration in a patients blood plasma, which comprises administering orally to a patient in need thereof, an extended release tablet that provides a peak blood plasma level of Levetiracetam in from about eight to about Sixteen hours. The core is prepared by Wet granulation, Dry granulation or Direct compression and optionally the tablet core is coated either in an coating pan or in and Fluidized bed system.|
|Inventor(s):||Kshirsagar; Rajesh (Vadodara, IN), Joshi; Mayank (Vadodara, IN), Raichandani; Yogesh (Vododara, IN)|
|Assignee:||UCB Pharma S.A. (Brussels, BE)|
1. An extended release tablet of levetiracetam consisting of: from about 30% w/w to about 85% w/w of levetiracetam; from about 20% w/w to about 40% w/w of a water dispersible rate
controlling polymer having a viscosity greater than 15 cps in a 2% w/w solution and selected from the group consisting of hydroxyethyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl cellulose, sodium alginate, carbomer, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, xanthan gum, guar gum,
locust bean gum, polyvinyl acetate, polyvinyl alcohol, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose and mixtures thereof; optionally a binder selected from the group consisting of polyvinyl pyrrolidone, hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, methyl
cellulose, polyacryl amide, poly-N-vinyl amide, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, polyethylene glycol, gelatin, polyethylene oxide, poly propylene glycol, tragacanth, alginic acid, and combinations thereof; optionally one or more lubricants, anti
adherents, or glidants, either alone or in combination; and optionally a non-functional coating comprising hydrophilic film forming polymer, colorant and opacifying agent, wherein the tablet has the following dissolution profile in USP Apparatus 1
(basket) at 100 rpm in purified water at 37.degree. C.: TABLE-US-00014 Time (hours) Average % levetiracetam released 2 <35 4 35-75 12 >75
2. An extended release tablet of levetiracetam according to claim 1, wherein the tablet provides extended therapeutically effective plasma levels over a twenty four hour period and further provides a peak blood plasma level of levetiracetam in from about eight to about sixteen hours.
3. An extended release tablet of levetiracetam according to claim 1, the tablet consisting of from about 50% to 80% levetiracetam by weight, about 20% to about 40% hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, by weight, and, optionally, from about 1% to about 5% polyvinyl pyrrolidone by weight.
4. An extended release tablet of levetiracetam according to claim 1, the tablet consisting of from about 61% to 73% levetiracetam by weight, about 25% to about 35% hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, by weight, and, optionally, from about 1.1% to about 1.5% polyvinyl pyrrolidone by weight.
5. An extended release tablet of levetiracetam according to claim 1, wherein the tablet is prepared by wet granulation, dry granulation or direct compression.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.