DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,799,345
|Title:||Preparation of injectable suspensions having improved injectability|
|Abstract:||Injectable compositions having improved injectability. The injectable compositions include microparticles suspended in an aqueous injection vehicle having a viscosity of at least 20 cp at 20.degree. C. The increased viscosity of the injection vehicle that constitutes the fluid phase of the suspension significantly reduces in vivo injectability failures. The injectable compositions can be made by mixing dry microparticles with an aqueous injection vehicle to form a suspension, and then mixing the suspension with a viscosity enhancing agent to increase the viscosity of the fluid phase of the suspension to the desired level for improved injectability.|
|Inventor(s):||Zale; Stephen E. (Hopkinton, MA), Ramstack; J. Michael (Lunenburg, MA), Hotz; Joyce M. (Cincinnati, OH), Riley; M. Gary I. (Cambridge, MA), Johnson; Olufunmi L. (Cambridge, MA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Controlled Therapeutics, Inc. (Waltham, MA)|
1. A composition for injection through a needle into a host, consisting of: microparticles consisting essentially of naltrexone and a polymeric binder selected from the group
consisting of poly(glycolic acid), poly-d,l-lactic acid, poly-l-lactic acid, copolymers of the foregoing, poly(aliphatic carboxylic acids), copolyoxalates, polycaprolactone, polydioxanone, poly(ortho carbonates), poly(acetals), poly(lactic
acid-caprolactone), polyorthoesters, poly(glycolic acid-caprolactone), polyanhydrides, and polyphosphazines; and an injection vehicle, wherein said injection vehicle consists of water, a viscosity enhancing agent, a wetting agent, and a tonicity
adjusting agent, and wherein said microparticles are suspended in said injection vehicle at a concentration of more than about 30 mg/ml and up to about 300 mg/ml to form a suspension, wherein a fluid phase of said suspension has a viscosity greater than
30 cp and less than 600 cp at 20.degree. C., wherein the viscosity of said fluid phase of said suspension provides injectability of the composition into the host through a needle ranging in diameter from 18-22 gauge.
2. The composition of claim 1, wherein the polymeric binder is a copolymer of poly(glycolic acid) and poly-d,l-lactic acid.
3. The composition of claim 1, wherein the viscosity enhancing agent is sodium carboxymethyl cellulose.
4. The composition of claim 1, wherein the wetting agent is selected from the group consisting of polysorbate 20, polysorbate 40, and polysorbate 80.
5. The composition of claim 1, wherein the tonicity adjusting agent is sodium chloride.
6. The composition of claim 1, wherein the injection vehicle consists of water, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, polysorbate 20, and sodium chloride.
7. The composition of claim 1, wherein a mass median diameter of the microparticles is less than about 250 .mu.m.
8. The composition of claim 7, wherein the mass median diameter of the microparticles is in the range of from about 20 .mu.m to about 150 .mu.m.
9. The composition of claim 1, wherein the polymeric binder is poly(lactide-co-glycolide), and the injection vehicle consists of water, sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, polysorbate 20, and sodium chloride.
10. The composition of claim 9, wherein a mass median diameter of the microparticles is less than about 250 .mu.m.
11. The composition of claim 10, wherein the mass median diameter of the microparticles is in the range of from about 20 .mu.M to about 150 .mu.m.
12. The composition of claim 1, wherein the polymeric binder is poly(d,l-lactide-co-glycolide) having a molar ratio of lactide to glycolide in the range of from about 85:15 to about 50:50.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.