|Title:||Dispensing apparatus and cartridge with deformable tip|
|Abstract:||A device for the treatment of periodontal disease. The device includes a handle that has a configuration familiar to dental professionals and a cartridge that is locked into the handle when use, typically delivery of a composition to a periodontal pocket, is desired. The cartridge provides for effective delivery of compositions, such as agents, as its tip is deformable, typically from a circular to an oval shape so as to flatten. The deformation may be made either manually, by the dental professional, or upon contact with teeth or other tissues, whereby this flattened tip can penetrate deeply into periodontal pockets for quick and direct application of the composition, for example, therapeutic agents.|
|Inventor(s):||Lawter; James R. (Yardley, PA), Lanzilotti; Michael G. (Newtown, PA), Bates; Mark (Westwood, MA), Hunter; Gregory H. (Dover, MA)|
|Assignee:||Orapharma, Inc. (Warminster, PA)|
1. An apparatus for dispensing at least one material to a periodontal pocket comprising: a barrel including a body portion and a tube portion, the tube portion extending
from the body portion and including a tip comprising an inner wall thickness, said tip tapering distally such that said inner wall thickness is reduced by said tapering, thereby permitting said tip to be deformed to at least one cross-sectional geometry
different from its initial cross-sectional geometry; a plunger, at least a portion of the plunger slidably housed within the barrel, the plunger configured for contacting a portion of an external force applying member; and a quantity of dry particles,
at least a portion of the dry particles within the tip, wherein the body portion of the barrel includes flexible flanges for forming a temporary locking engagement with at least a portion of an external force applying member.
2. The apparatus of claim 1, wherein the body portion includes at least one nub for receipt in a correspondingly configured indent in at least a portion of an external force applying member to prevent the barrel from rotating.
3. The apparatus of claim 2, additionally comprising: an external force applying member.
4. The apparatus of claim 3, wherein the external force applying member includes a handle.
5. The apparatus of claim 4, wherein the handle includes: a sleeve including an indent for engaging the at least one nub; and a spring-loaded shaft housed at least partially within the sleeve; the sleeve and the shaft configured to engage at least a portion of each of the flexible flanges of the body portion of the barrel.
6. The apparatus of claim 5, wherein the spring-loaded shaft includes: a proximal end and a distal end; and a thumb ring at the proximal end.
7. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein the body portion of the barrel further comprises a collar from which the flanges extend.
8. The apparatus of claim 1 wherein the flexible flanges are designed to move radially outward and inward.