DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,648,960
|Title:||Method for delivery of monomeric or dimeric insulin complexed to diketopiperazine microparticles|
|Abstract:||Methods are provided for purifying peptides and proteins by incorporating the peptide or protein into a diketopiperazine or competitive complexing agent to facilitate removal of one or more impurities from the peptide or protein. Formulations and methods also are provided for the improved transport of active agents across biological membranes, resulting for example in a rapid increase in blood agent concentration. The formulations include microparticles formed of (i) the active agent, which may be charged or neutral, and (ii) a transport enhancer that masks the charge of the agent and/or that forms hydrogen bonds with the target biological membrane in order to facilitate transport. In one embodiment insulin is administered via the pulmonary delivery of microparticles comprising fumaryl diketopiperazine and insulin in its biologically active form. This method of delivering insulin results in a rapid increase in blood insulin concentration that is comparable to the increase resulting from intravenous delivery.|
|Inventor(s):||Steiner; Solomon S. (Mount Kisco, NY), Woods; Rodney J. (New Hampton, NY), Sulner; Joseph W. (Paramus, NJ)|
|Assignee:||MannKind Corporation (Valencia, CA)|
1. A method for delivering monomeric or dimeric insulin to a patient in need thereof, comprising administering to the patient a delivery formulation for the monomeric or dimeric
insulin comprising an effective amount of insulin complexed with a diketopiperazine derivative, wherein the delivery formulation is prepared by complexing the insulin with microparticles of the diketopiperazine derivative by the steps of: a) providing
pre-formed microparticles of the diketopiperazine derivative in a suspension comprising a solvent; b) adding insulin to said suspension; and c) removing solvent from said suspension; wherein the diketopiperazine derivative has the formula
2,5-diketo-3,6-di(4-X-aminobutyl)piperazine, wherein X is selected from the group consisting of fumaryl, succinyl, maleyl, and glutaryl, and wherein the microparticles release monomeric or dimeric insulin upon dissociation.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein X is fumaryl.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein X is succinyl.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein X is maleyl.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein X is glutaryl.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is in a dry powder form administered to the lungs via inhalation.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the patient is a Type II diabetic.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the composition is administered concurrently with or less than 20 minutes prior to the patient eating a meal.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is provided in one or more unit doses of insulin, each dose equivalent to about 6 IU of insulin.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein said solvent is an aqueous solvent.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein said solvent is removed by lyophilizing or freeze drying.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally: