DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
Email this page to a colleague» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,648,960
|Title:||Method for delivery of monomeric or dimeric insulin complexed to diketopiperazine microparticles|
|Abstract:||Methods are provided for purifying peptides and proteins by incorporating the peptide or protein into a diketopiperazine or competitive complexing agent to facilitate removal of one or more impurities from the peptide or protein. Formulations and methods also are provided for the improved transport of active agents across biological membranes, resulting for example in a rapid increase in blood agent concentration. The formulations include microparticles formed of (i) the active agent, which may be charged or neutral, and (ii) a transport enhancer that masks the charge of the agent and/or that forms hydrogen bonds with the target biological membrane in order to facilitate transport. In one embodiment insulin is administered via the pulmonary delivery of microparticles comprising fumaryl diketopiperazine and insulin in its biologically active form. This method of delivering insulin results in a rapid increase in blood insulin concentration that is comparable to the increase resulting from intravenous delivery.|
|Inventor(s):||Steiner; Solomon S. (Mount Kisco, NY), Woods; Rodney J. (New Hampton, NY), Sulner; Joseph W. (Paramus, NJ)|
|Assignee:||MannKind Corporation (Valencia, CA)|
1. A method for delivering monomeric or dimeric insulin to a patient in need thereof, comprising administering to the patient a delivery formulation for the monomeric or dimeric
insulin comprising an effective amount of insulin complexed with a diketopiperazine derivative, wherein the delivery formulation is prepared by complexing the insulin with microparticles of the diketopiperazine derivative by the steps of: a) providing
pre-formed microparticles of the diketopiperazine derivative in a suspension comprising a solvent; b) adding insulin to said suspension; and c) removing solvent from said suspension; wherein the diketopiperazine derivative has the formula
2,5-diketo-3,6-di(4-X-aminobutyl)piperazine, wherein X is selected from the group consisting of fumaryl, succinyl, maleyl, and glutaryl, and wherein the microparticles release monomeric or dimeric insulin upon dissociation.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein X is fumaryl.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein X is succinyl.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein X is maleyl.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein X is glutaryl.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is in a dry powder form administered to the lungs via inhalation.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the patient is a Type II diabetic.
8. The method of claim 7 wherein the composition is administered concurrently with or less than 20 minutes prior to the patient eating a meal.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition is provided in one or more unit doses of insulin, each dose equivalent to about 6 IU of insulin.
10. The method of claim 1 wherein said solvent is an aqueous solvent.
11. The method of claim 1 wherein said solvent is removed by lyophilizing or freeze drying.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.