Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Formulations and uses of 2-hydroxy-5-phenylazobenzoic acid derivatives|
|Abstract:||A method of increasing the bioavailability of balsalazide by administration of an oral dosage form with food is provided, as well as an article of manufacture comprising an oral dosage form of balsalazide in a suitable container and associated with printed labeling which describes the increased bioavailability of the medication in the container when taken with food.|
|Inventor(s):||Johnson; Lorin (Palo Alto, CA)|
|Assignee:||Salix Pharmaceuticals, Ltd (Morrisville, NC)|
1. A method of treating a gastrointestinal disorder comprising: administering to a subject in need of treatment a therapeutically effective amount of balsalazide with food,
wherein said administering with food comprises administering balsalazide within 15 minutes after eating a meal, and wherein the administration results in an increase in the bioavailability of balsalazide and metabolites 5-aminosalicylic acid (5-ASA) and
N-acetyl-5-ASA (NASA) to the colon of the subject as compared to administration of balsalazide in a fasted state.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the balsalazide is administered from a container with printed labeling advising that administration with food results in one or more of a delay of the transit of the balsalazide, 5-ASA or NASA in the colon of a subject; a decrease in the systemic level of one or more of 5-ASA or NASA in a subject; decrease in the maximal plasma concentration (C.sub.max) of one or more of balsalazide, 5-ASA or NASA in a subject; delaying T.sub.max of one or more of balsalazide, 5-ASA or NASA in a subject; decreasing the extent of absorption (AUC.sub.last) of one or more of 5-ASA or NASA in a subject; increasing conversion of balsalazide to 5-ASA and 5-ASA to NASA in a subject or increasing the systemic ratio of NASA to 5-ASA in a subject.
3. The method of claim 1, further comprising informing the subject that the administration of a therapeutically effective amount of balsalazide in a pharmaceutical composition with food results in an increase in the bioavailability of balsalazide and metabolites 5-ASA and NASA.
4. The method claim 1, wherein the therapeutically effective amount comprises from between about 6.25 mg to about 14000 mg/day; or from between about 750 mg to about 6750 mg/day; or from between about 1100 mg to about 13200 mg/day.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the therapeutically effective amount is a dosage regimen of three capsules of the formulation three times each day, wherein each capsule comprises about 750 mg of balsalazide.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the therapeutically effective amount is a dosage regimen of three tablets of the formulation two times each day, wherein each tablet comprises about 1100 mg of balsalazide.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the therapeutically effective amount is a dosage regimen of one capsule three times each day, wherein each capsule comprises about 750 mg of balsalazide.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the food comprises one or more of applesauce or a high-fat meal.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the gastrointestinal disorder comprises one or more of mild to moderately active ulcerative colitis, radiation proctosigmoiditis, and colon cancer.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.