DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,608,610
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical composition comprising: (A) an androgen; (B) a cyclic enhancer of the type used in the compositions and methods claimed by U.S. Pat. No. 5,023,252 to Hsieh; and (C) a thickening agent; including, for example, a composition in which the cyclic enhancer is a macrocyclic ester or a macrocyclic ketone; the use of the composition to treat a condition, for example, male hypogonadism, in a patient by applying the composition to the membrane of the patient; and a method for making the composition.|
|Inventor(s):||Gyurik; Robert J. (Exeter, NH)|
|Assignee:||CPEX Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Exeter, NH)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 7,608,610|
1. A method for maintaining a therapeutically effective concentration of testosterone in the blood serum of a male for treating hypogonadism which comprises
transdermally delivering to the male by applying to the skin a composition which is in the form of a topical gel, which has a viscosity of about 500 to about 20,000 cps and a pH of about 3 to about 9, and comprises: (A) about 0.1 to about 5 wt. % of
testosterone; (B) about 0.5 to about 25 wt. % of a macrocyclic enhancer selected from the group consisting of 3-methylcyclopentadecanone, 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one, cyclohexadecanone, cyclopentadecanone, oxacyclohexadecan-2-one and mixtures thereof (C)
about 0.1 to about 10 wt. % of a thickening agent; (D) a mixture of solvents which include about 40 wt. % to about 80% of ethanol.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein the composition further comprises polyethylene glycol.
3. The method of claim 2 wherein the polyethylene glycol is present in an amount that ranges from about 0.001 to about 5 wt. %.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein said composition is maintained on said skin for a period of time sufficient for delivery of the testosterone to the body of the male and is applied to the skin in the form of a unit dose which contains about 1 to about 300 mg of testosterone and such that, following a single application of the unit dose to the skin, the amount of circulating testosterone (AUC.sub.0-24) in the blood serum of the male achieved in the 24-hour period following the application is about 100 to about 35,000 ng.h/dL greater than the amount of circulating testosterone (AUC.sub.0-24) in the blood serum of the male than would have been achieved in the same 24-hour period had the dose not been administered.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the viscosity ranges from about 1,000 cps to about 9,000 cps.
6. The method of claim 5 wherein the viscosity ranges from about 2,000 cps to about 8,000 cps.
7. The method of claim 6 wherein the viscosity ranges from about 3,000 cps to about 7,000 cps.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the pH ranges from about 4 to about 8.
9. The method of claim 1 wherein ethanol ranges from about 50 wt. % to about 75 wt. %.
10. The method of claim 9 wherein ethanol ranges from about 60 wt. % to about 75 wt. %.
11. The method of claim 10 further comprising propylene glycol.
12. The method of claim 11 further comprising glycerin.
13. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 3-methylcyclopentadecanone.
14. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one.
15. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclohexadecanone.
16. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclopentadecanone.
17. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is oxacyclohexadecan-2-one.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.