Find generic entry opportunities
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical composition comprising: (A) an androgen; (B) a cyclic enhancer of the type used in the compositions and methods claimed by U.S. Pat. No. 5,023,252 to Hsieh; and (C) a thickening agent; including, for example, a composition in which the cyclic enhancer is a macrocyclic ester or a macrocyclic ketone; the use of the composition to treat a condition, for example, male hypogonadism, in a patient by applying the composition to the membrane of the patient; and a method for making the composition.|
|Inventor(s):||Gyurik; Robert J. (Exeter, NH)|
|Assignee:||CPEX Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Exeter, NH)|
1. A method for maintaining a therapeutically effective concentration of testosterone in the blood serum of a male for treating hypogonadism which comprises
transdermally delivering to the male by applying to the skin a composition which is in the form of a topical gel, which has a viscosity of about 2000 to about 6000 cps and a pH of about 4 to about 8, and comprises: (A) about 0.1 to about 5 wt. % of
testosterone; (B) about 0.5 to about 25 wt. % of a macrocyclic enhancer selected from the group consisting of 3-methylcyclopentadecanone, 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one, cyclohexadecanone, cyclopentadecanone, oxacyclohexadecan-2-one and mixtures thereof (C)
about 1 to about 6 wt. % of a thickening agent; (D) a mixture of solvents which include: (i) about 60 to about 75 wt. % of ethanol or isopropanol; and (ii) propylene glycol and glycerin as co-solvents.
2. The method of claim 1 further comprising about 0.001 to about 5 wt. % of polyethylene glycol as a crystallization inhibitor.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said composition is maintained on said skin for a period of time sufficient for delivery of the testosterone to the body of the male and is applied to the skin in the form of a unit dose which contains about 1 to about 300 mg of testosterone and such that, following a single application of the unit dose to the skin, the amount of circulating testosterone (AUC.sub.0-24) in the blood serum of the male achieved in the 24-hour period following the application is about 100 to about 35,000 ngh/dL greater than the amount of circulating testosterone (AUC.sub.0-24) in the blood serum of the male than would have been achieved in the same 24-hour period had the dose not been administered.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 3-methylcyclopentadecanone.
5. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is 9-cycloheptadecen-1-one.
6. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclohexadecanone.
7. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is cyclopentadecanone.
8. The method of claim 1 wherein the macrocyclic enhancer is oxacyclohexadecan-2-one.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.