DrugPatentWatch Database Preview➤ Get the DrugPatentWatch Daily Briefing
» See Plans and Pricing
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,541,347
|Title:||Minocycline oral dosage forms for the treatment of acne|
|Abstract:||Minocycline oral dosage forms containing a controlled release carrier are useful for the treatment of acne.|
|Inventor(s):||Wortzman; Mitchell (Scottsdale, AZ), Plott; R. Todd (Briscoe, TX), Bhatia; Kuljit (Nesconset, NY), Patel; Bhiku (Chandler, AZ)|
|Assignee:||Medicis Pharmaceutical Coropration (Scottsdale, AZ)|
|Patent Litigation and PTAB cases:||See patent lawsuits and PTAB cases for patent 7,541,347|
1. A method of administering an oral dosage form for the treatment of acne comprising: (i) administering to a patient the oral dosage form, the oral dosage form comprising:
(a) an intragranular blend of: 90 mg of minocycline hydrochloride; 108 mg of the matrix-forming polymer hydroxpropyl methylcellulose, wherein the matrix-forming polymer hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is a slow dissolving carrier; and 152 mg of an
intragranular lactose; and (b) 41 mg of extragranular lactose monohydrate, wherein the extragranular lactose monohydrate is a fast dissolving carrier, a portion of which completely or partially encapsulates or coats the intragranular blend; (c) 3.0 mg
of silicon oxide; and (d) 6.0 mg of magnesium stearate, wherein the dosage form has a total weight of 400 mg; wherein the dosage form provides a patient with 0.75 mg/kg to 1.5 mg/kg of the minocycline hydrochloride in a slow, continuous fashion,
without an initial load dose, that effectively treats acne of the patient by the once daily administration of the dosage form, and (ii) providing information to the patient, which information comprises results of the performed clinical trials including a
comparison of the oral dosage form to placebo with respect to an aspect of at least one adverse effect.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the at least one adverse effect is selected from the group consisting of one or more: headache, fatigue, dizziness, pruritus, malaise, mood alteration, somnolence, urticaria, tinnitus, vertigo, dry mouth, and myalgia.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the oral dosage form provides the patient with about 1.0 mg/kg/day of the minocycline hydrochloride.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the minocycline hydrochloride is released so that the minocycline hydrochloride reaches C.sub.max in a person's blood from about 3.2 hours to about 4.5 hours after administration.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the acne is selected from the group consisting of acne vulgaris, acne rosacea, acne conglobata, acne fulminans, gram-negative folliculitis, and pyoderma faciale.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the information includes information about one or more deleterious effects selected from the group consisting of: gastrointestinal disorders, blurred vision, autoimmune syndromes, and adverse renal reactions.
Make Better Decisions: Try a trial or see plans & pricing
Serving leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.