Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Medication dispensing apparatus with spring-driven locking feature enabled by administration of final dose|
|Abstract:||A medication dispensing apparatus with a spring-driven locking feature includes a drive member movable in a distal direction within a housing, and a fluid container with a piston that is advanceable by the drive member (60) when such drive member is moved distally by a driving means. The apparatus includes a latching element (180) having a skid (190) that is slidable along a surface of the drive member as the drive member passes distally during advancement. The drive member is arranged with the skid so as to maintain a latching lip of the latching element against a spring force in a first position free of the driving means during dose preparing and injecting prior to a final dose administration. The skid-engaging surface shifts distally of the skid such that the skid passes beyond a proximal end of that surface upon administration of a final dose, whereby the latching lip is urged by the spring force from the first position to a second position to physically lock the driving means to prevent further dose preparing and injecting.|
|Inventor(s):||Jacobs; Alexander Thomas (Cambridge, MA), Judson; Jared Alden (Topsfield, MA), Row; Gordon Davidson (Groton, MA)|
|Assignee:||Eli Lilly and Company (Indianapolis, IN)|
1. A medication dispensing apparatus comprising: a housing; a drive member within said housing and movable in a distal direction; a fluid container defining a medicine-filled
reservoir with a movable piston at one end and an outlet at the other end, said piston engageable by said drive member to be advanced toward said outlet a distance equal to a distal movement of said drive member when said drive member is moved distally;
a plunger element; a gear set including first and second pinions, said gear set pivotal on said plunger element and shiftable proximally and distally with the plunger element; a first rack engaged with said first pinion and axially stationary within
said housing; a second rack engaged with said second pinion and movable within said housing on a piece clutchably connected to said drive member; a latching element including a latching lip and a skid; said drive member including an axially extending,
skid-engaging surface along which said skid is slidable as said drive member passes distally during advancement during plunger element shifting in the distal direction, said skid-engaging surface having an axial length and a proximal end, said drive
member along said axial length structured and arranged with said skid so as to maintain said latching lip against a spring force in a first position free of a latchable element disposed on said plunger element during dose preparing and injecting prior to
a final dose administration; and wherein said skid-engaging surface shifts distally of said skid such that said skid passes beyond the proximal end upon administration of a final dose allowing said latching lip to be urged by said spring force from said
first position to a second position for engagement with said latchable element to physically lock said plunger element to prevent further dose preparing and injecting.
2. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said proximal end of said skid-engaging surface comprises a proximal end of said drive member.
3. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said skid is disposed distally of said latching lip.
4. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said skid comprises a blade shape member that extends axially, and wherein said latching lip comprises a transversely extending flange.
5. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said latchable element comprises a ramped distal face over which said latching lip is cammable to reach a latching engagement with said latchable element.
6. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said latching element is axially fixed to said housing by at least one flange fit into a slot provided in said housing.
7. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said spring force acting on said latching element comprises a resiliency of said latching element tending to return said latching lip to a neutral arrangement.
8. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 7 wherein said latching element comprises a one piece metal stamping.
9. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said skid-engaging surface is smooth.
10. The medication dispensing apparatus of claim 1 wherein said latching lip comprises a rim along an opening through which a latchable element extends to reach a latching engagement with said latching element.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.