Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Fitness assay and associated methods|
|Abstract:||The present invention provides an assay for determining the biochemical fitness of a biochemical species in a mutant replicating biological entity relative to its predecessor. The present invention further provides a continuous fluorogenic assay for measuring the anti-HIV protease activity of protease inhibitor. The present invention also provides a method of administering a therapeutic compound that reduces the chances of the emergence of drug resistance in therapy. The present invention also provides a compound of formula (I) or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt, a prodrug, a composition, or an ester thereof, wherein A is a group of formulas (A), (B), (C) or (D); R.sup.1, R.sup.2, R.sup.3, R.sup.5 or R.sup.6 is H, or an optionally substituted and/or heteroatom-bearing alkyl, alkenyl, alkynyl, or cyclic group; Y and/or Z are CH.sub.2, O, S, SO, SO.sub.2, amino, amides, carbamates, ureas, or thiocarbonyl derivatives thereof, optionally substituted with an alkyl, alkenyl, or alkynyl group; n is from 1 to 5; X is a bond, an optionally substituted methylene or ethylene, an amino, O or S; Q is C(O), C(S), or SO.sub.2; m is from 0 to 6; R.sup.4 is OH, .dbd.O (keto), NH.sub.2, or alkylamino, including esters, amides, and salts thereof; and W is C(O), C(S), S(O), or SO.sub.2. Optionally, R.sup.5 and R.sup.6, together with the N--W bond of formula (I), comprises a macrocyclic ring.|
|Inventor(s):||Erickson; John W. (Frederick, MD), Gulnik; Sergei V. (Frederick, MD), Mitsuya; Hiroaki (Chevy Chase, MD), Ghosh; Arun K. (River Forest, IL)|
|Assignee:||The United States of America as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services (Washington, DC) N/A (Urbana, IL) Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois (|
1. A method of treating a HIV-infected mammal who has developed resistance to HIV treatments, the method comprising (i) determining whether the mammal has developed
resistance to HIV treatments; (ii) administering to the HIV-infected mammal an effective amount of a compound of the formula: ##STR00035## wherein X is oxygen, R.sup.5 is isobutyl, and Ar is substituted phenyl; and (iii) administering at least one
antiviral agent selected from the group consisting of ritonavir, indinavir, amprenavir and saquinavir; whereby the HIV-infected mammal is treated.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein Ar is a phenyl substituted at the para-position.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein Ar is a phenyl substituted at the meta-position.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein Ar is a phenyl substituted at the ortho-position.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein Ar is selected from the group consisting of para-aminophenyl, para-toluoyl, para-methoxyphenyl, meta-methoxyphenyl, and meta-hydroxymethylphenyl.
6. The method of claim 1, wherein the HIV-infected mammal is infected with a wild-type HIV.
7. The method of claim 1, wherein the HIV-infected mammal is infected by a mutant HIV with least one protease mutation.
8. The method of claim 1, wherein the HIV-infected mammal is infected by a mutant HIV having at least one reverse transcriptase mutation.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the at least one antiviral agent is ritonavir.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.