|Title:||Peptides that bind to the erythropoietin receptor|
|Abstract:|| The present invention relates to peptide compounds that are agonists of the erythropoietin receptor (EPO-R). The invention also relates to therapeutic methods using such peptide compounds to treat disorders associated with insufficient or defective red blood cell production. Pharmaceutical compositions, which comprise the peptide compounds of the invention, are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):|| Holmes; Christopher P. (Saratoga, CA), Yin; Qun (Palo Alto, CA), Lalonde; Guy (Woodside, CA), Schatz; Peter J. (Cupertino, CA), Tumelty; David (Sunnyvale, CA), Palani; Balu (Cupertino, CA), Zemede; Genet (Santa Clara, CA) |
|Assignee:|| Affymax, Inc. (Palo Alto, CA) |
1. A compound that binds to and activates the erythropoietin receptor (EPO-R), which compound comprises: (a) a first peptide monomer and a second peptide monomer, wherein the
first and second peptide monomers each comprises the amino acid sequence (AcG)GLYACHMGPIT(1-nal)VCQPLR (SEQ ID NO: 14); and (b) at least one lysine linker moiety covalently bonding the C-terminus of said first peptide monomer and the C-terminus of said
second peptide monomer to a spacer moiety, wherein the spacer moiety is covalently attached to the .epsilon.-amino functional group of said lysine linker moiety and has the formula: ##STR00085## wherein R.sub.1 is selected from the group consisting of
NHCO and NHCOO, and PEG is a poly(ethylene glycol) moiety comprising a linear, unbranched poly(ethylene glycol) having molecular weight of about 10,000 to about 60,000 Daltons.
2. The compound of claim 1, wherein the amino acid sequence additionally comprises (MeG), K, or (MeG)K.
3. The compound of claim 2, wherein the amino acid sequence is (AcG)GLYACHMGPIT(1-nal)VCQPLRK (SEQ ID NO: 1).
4. The compound of claim 2, wherein the amino acid sequence is (ACG)GLYACHMGPIT(1-nal)VCQPLR(MeG) (SEQ ID NO:3).
5. The compound of claim 2, wherein the amino acid sequence is (AcG)GLYACHMGPIT(1-nal)VCQPLR(MeG)K (SEQ ID NO: 2).
6. The compound of claim 1, wherein the spacer is an iminodiacetic linker.
7. The compound of claim 1, wherein the PEG is 10,000 to 60,000 Daltons.
8. The compound of claim 1, wherein the PEG is 20,000 to 40,000 Daltons.
9. A method for treating a patient having a disorder characterized by a deficiency of erythropoietin or a low or defective red blood cell population, which method comprises administering to the patient a therapeutically effective amount of the
compound of claim 7.
10. A method according to claim 9 wherein the disorder is selected from the group consisting of end stage renal failure or dialysis; anemia associated with AIDS, auto immune disease or a malignancy; beta-thalassemia; cystic fibrosis; early
anemia of prematurity; anemia associated with chronic inflammatory disease; spinal cord injury; acute blood loss; aging; and neoplastic disease states accompanied by abnormal erythropoiesis.
11. A method according to claim 10, wherein each PEG has a molecular weight of about 20,000 Daltons.
12. A pharmaceutical composition comprising the compound of claim 1 and a pharmaceutically acceptable carrier.
13. A pharmaceutical composition according to claim 12, wherein each PEG has a molecular weight of about 20,000 Daltons.