|Title:||Controlled release and taste masking oral pharmaceutical composition|
|Abstract:||Controlled release and taste masking compositions containing one or more active principles inglobated in a three-component matrix structure, i.e. a structure formed by successive amphiphilic, lipophilic or inert matrices and finally inglobated or dispersed in hydrophilic matrices. The use of a plurality of systems for the control of the dissolution of the active ingredient modulates the dissolution rate of the active ingredient in aqueous and/or biological fluids, thereby controlling the release kinetics in the gastrointestinal tract.|
|Inventor(s):||Villa; Roberto (Lecco, IT), Pedrani; Massimo (Gignese, IT), Ajani; Mauro (Milan, IT), Fossati; Lorenzo (Milan, IT)|
|Assignee:||Cosmo Technologies Limited (Wicklow, IE)|
1. A controlled release oral pharmaceutical composition containing budesonide as active ingredient consisting essentially of: a) a lipophilic matrix consisting of
lipophilic compounds with a melting point between 40.degree. C. and 90 C. in which the active ingredient is at least partially inglobated; b) an amphiphilic matrix; c) an outer hydrophilic matrix consisting of hydrogel forming compounds in which the
lipophilic matrix and the amphiphilic matrix are dispersed, wherein the combination of the matrices from a), b), and c) provides controlled release.
2. The composition according to claim 1 in which the active ingredient is mixed and at least partially inglobated in the amphiphilic matrix of point b).
3. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the active ingredient is mixed and at least partially inglobated in the lipophilic matrix.
4. The composition according to claim 1, wherein, the lipophilic matrix consists of compounds selected from the group consisting of C6-C 20 alcohols, C8-C 20 fatty acids, and esters of fatty acids with, glycerol, sorbitol or other polyalcohols with carbon atom chain not higher than six.
5. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the amphiphilic compounds are selected from the group consisting of polar lipids of type I or II, ceramides, glycol alkyl ethers, esters of fatty acids with polyethylene glycols, and diethylene glycols.
6. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the lipophilic matrix consists of a compound selected from the group consisting of unsaturated or hydrogenated alcohols or fatty acids, salts, esters or amides thereof; mono-, di- or triglycerides of fatty acids, polyethoxylated derivatives thereof; waxes; and cholesterol derivatives.
7. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the hydrophilic matrix consists of compounds selected from the group consisting of acrylic or methacrylic acid polymers or copolymers, alkylvinyl polymers, hydroxyalkylcellulose, carboxyalkylcellulose, polysaccharides, dextrins, pectins, starches and derivatives, alginic acid, natural or synthetic gums, and polyalcohols.
8. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the active ingredient is wholly contained in the lipophilic/amphiphilic matrix, in the form of tablets, capsules or minitablets.
9. The composition according to claim 1, wherein the active ingredient is dispersed both in the hydrophilic matrix and in the lipophilic/amphiphilic matrix, in the form of tablets, capsules or minitablets.
10. The composition according to claim 1, wherein said composition is in the form of tablets chewable or erodible in the buccal cavity or in the first portion of the gastrointestinal tract.
11. A method for the treatment of Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, comprising administering the composition according to claim 1 to a patient in need of such a treatment.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.