|Title:||Vaginally administrable progesterone-containing tablets and method for preparing same|
|Abstract:||The present invention provides a method for preparing a tablet for the vaginal administration of progesterone for systemic use. The method comprises first mixing water with micronized progesterone, the total amount of water mixed with said micronized progesterone not exceeding the maximum wetting capacity of the micronized progesterone, drying the wetted, micronized progesterone; mixing the dry micronized progesterone with other pharmaceutically acceptable excipients or diluents; and; forming a tablet by direct compaction of the dry micronized progesterone. Tablets prepared by this method are also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Jossifoff; Azariah (Ramat Gan, IL)|
|Assignee:||Ferring B.V. (Hoofddorp, NL)|
1. A method of delivering progesterone to a female patient, comprising placing in the vagina of said patient a tablet consisting of natural progesterone,
pharmaceutically acceptable excipients, and an effervescent, wherein said tablet is prepared by the steps of: (i) mixing water with natural progesterone to obtain wetted natural progesterone in the absence of pharmaceutically acceptable excipients; and
drying said wetted natural progesterone to form dry progesterone; (ii) mixing said dry natural progesterone with (a) pharmaceutically acceptable excipients and (b) an effervescent to form a mixture; and (iii) forming said tablet in dry form by direct
compaction of said mixture, and retaining said tablet in said vagina until the tablet dissolves, wherein the tablet provides a T.sub.max from 3.05 hours to 9.75 hours after said tablet is placed in the vagina.
2. A method according to claim 1, wherein the progesterone in said tablet is present in an amount of at least about 50 mg.
3. A method according to claim 1, wherein said placing of said tablet is effected as part of a twice daily dosing regimen.
4. A method of delivering progesterone to a female patient, which method comprises (a) placing in the vagina of the patient a vaginal tablet consisting of micronized natural progesterone as the active ingredient, pharmaceutically acceptable excipients, and an effervescent; and (b) permitting the tablet to dissolve in the vagina, the tablet providing a T.sub.max from 3.05 hours to 9.75 hours after said tablet is placed in the vagina.
5. A method according to claim 4, wherein the progesterone in said tablet is present in an amount of at least 50 mg.
6. A method according to claim 4, wherein said placing of said tablet is effected as part of a twice daily dosing regimen.