|Title:||Treatment of respiratory disease|
|Abstract:|| A pharmaceutical composition for pulmonary delivery comprises glycopyrrolate in a controlled release formulation, wherein, on administration, the glycopyrrolate exerts its pharmacological effect over a period greater than 12 hours.|
|Inventor(s):|| Bannister; Robin Mark (Essex, GB), Richards; Andrew John McGlashan (Cambridge, GB), Gilbert; Julian Clive (Essex, GB), Morton; David A. V. (Bath, GB), Staniforth; John (Bath, GB) |
|Assignee:|| Sosei R&D Ltd (GB) |
1. A method for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in a patient suffering from said disease, which comprises pulmonary delivery to said patient of
a dry powder composition comprising microparticles of glycopyrrolate, wherein the composition is formulated so that one unit dose enables the glycopyrrolate to exert its pharmacological effect over a period of greater than 20 hours.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the microparticles have a mass median aerodynamic diameter of less than 30 .mu.m.
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein the composition additionally comprises large carrier particles.
4. The method according to claim 3, wherein the large carrier particles are lactose particles having a mass median aerodynamic diameter of greater than 90 .mu.m.
5. The method, according to claim 1, wherein the composition further comprises a hydrophobic material.
6. The method, according to claim 5, wherein the hydrophobic material is magnesium stearate.
7. The method, according to claim 1, wherein a dose of less than 1 mg is administered to the patient.