Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Controlled release galantamine composition|
|Abstract:||The present invention is concerned with controlled release compositions for oral administration comprising galantamine; and with processes of preparing such controlled release compositions.|
|Inventor(s):||McGee; John Paul (Antwerp, BE), Gilis; Paul Marie Victor (Beerse, BE), De Weer; Marc Maurice Germain (Vosselaar, BE), de Conde; Valentin Florent Victor (Lommel, BE), de Bruijn; Herman Johannes Catherina (Meer, BE), Van Dycke; Frederic Anne Rodolf (Antwerp, BE)|
|Assignee:||Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (Beerse, BE)|
1. A controlled release formulation containing galantamine as the active ingredient, characterized in that it comprises particles comprising galantamine hydrobromide
(1:1), and a water soluble film forming polymer wherein the galantamine hydrobromide (1:1) and the water soluble film forming polymer are layered or coated on inert spheres, said particles being coated by a release rate controlling membrane coating
wherein the release rate controlling membrane coating comprises a water insoluble polymer and optionally a plasticizer, and wherein the formulation further comprises a topcoat comprising galantamine and water-soluble polymer and wherein the formulation
is capable of releasing in USP buffer pH 6.8 at 37.degree. C. in a paddle apparatus operating at 50 rpm, from 20 to 40% of the total amount of galantamine.HBr in 1 hour, and more than 80% of the total amount of galantamine.HBr in 10 hours.
2. A formulation according to claim 1 wherein the water insoluble polymer is ethylcellulose and the plasticizer is selected from the group consisting of dibutyl sebacate, diethyl phthalate and triethyl citrate.
3. A formulation according to claim 2 wherein the weight of the release rate controlling membrane coating ranges from 3% to 15% of the uncoated particle.
4. A formulation according to claim 1 wherein a seal coat lies between the drug core and the release rate controlling membrane coating.
5. A formulation according to claim 1 wherein the water soluble film forming polymer is a polymer that has an apparent viscosity of 1 to 100 mPa.s when dissolved in a 2% aqueous solution at 20.degree. C. solution.
6. A formulation according to claim 5 wherein the water soluble polymer is selected from the group consisting of alkylcelluloses such as methylcellulose, hydroxyalkylcelluloses such as hydroxymethylcellulose, hydroxyethylcellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose and hydroxybutylcellulose, hydroxyalkyl alkylcelluloses such as hydroxyethyl methylcellulose and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, carboxyalkylcelluloses such as carboxymethylcellulose, alkali metal salts of carboxyalkylcelluloses such as sodium carboxymethylcellulose, carboxyalkylalkylcelluloses such as carboxymethylethylcellulose, carboxyalkylcellulose esters, starches, pectines such as sodium carboxymethylamylopectine, chitine derivatives such as chitosan, polysaccharides such as alginic acid, alkali metal and ammonium salts thereof, carrageenans, galactomannans, traganth, agar-agar, gummi arabicum, guar gummi and xanthan gummi, polyacrylic acids and the salts thereof, polymethacrylic acids and the salts thereof, methacrylate copolymers, polyvinylalcohol, polyvinylpyrrolidone, copolymers of polyvinylpyrrolidone with vinyl acetate polyalkylene oxides such as polyethylene oxide and polypropylene oxide and copolymers of ethylene oxide and propylene oxide.
7. A formulation according to claim 6 wherein the water soluble polymer is hydroxypropyl methylcellulose HPMC 2910 with an apparent viscosity of 5 mPa.s when dissolved in a 2% aqueous solution at 20.degree. C.
8. A formulation according to claim 7 wherein the weight-by-weight ratio of said hydroxypropyl methylcellulose to galantamine is in the range of 17:1 to 1:5.
9. A formulation according to claim 1 wherein the inert spheres are 16 60 mesh (1,180 250 .mu.m) sugar spheres.
10. A formulation according to any of claim 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 4 which delivers a therapeutically effective amount of galantamine to a patient during the 24 hours following a single once daily administration.
11. A formulation according to claim 1 providing a mean maximum plasma concentration of galantamine from 10 to 60 ng/ml and a mean minimum plasma concentration from 3 to 15 ng/ml after repeated administration every day through steady-state conditions.
12. A process of preparing a formulation according to claim 1 comprising admixing galantamine hydrobromide (1:1) with a water soluble film forming polymer and coating onto inert spheres to form a drug core, optionally applying a seal coat to the drug core, applying the release rate controlling membrane coating, and thereafter applying a topcoat comprising galantamine and a water-soluble polymer.
13. A method of treating Alzheimer's dementia in a human while substantially reducing or avoiding the concomitant liability of adverse effects associated with acetyl cholinesterase inhibitors, comprising administering to a human in need of such treatment, a therapeutically effective amount of galantamine in a controlled release formulation as claimed in claim 1, said amount being sufficient to alleviate said Alzheimer's dementia, but insufficient to cause said adverse effects.
14. A method according to claim 13 wherein the adverse effects belong to the group comprising nausea, vomiting, sweating, restlessness, and insomnia.
15. A formulation according to claim 1, wherein the particles are filled in a hard-gelatin capsule.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.