Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Anticipate generic drug launch
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Pharmaceutical composition of topiramate|
|Abstract:||The invention is directed to a pharmaceutical composition of topiramate, an anticonvulsant which is useful for treating epilepsy. More specifically, the present invention provides a solid dosage formulation of topiramate intended primarily for use by pediatric patients, or for patients who have difficulty swallowing tablets. Processes for preparing the pharmaceutical composition are also described.|
|Inventor(s):||Thakur; Madhav S. (North Wales, PA), Kotwal; Pramod M. (Blue Bell, PA), Gibbs; Irwin S. (Huntington Valley, PA)|
|Assignee:||Ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc. (Raritan, NJ)|
1. A method of treating convulsions in a mammal in need thereof which comprises administering to the mammal a therapeutically effective amount of a pharmaceutical composition
comprising (a) core particles containing an active agent of topiramate, a binder and a diluent wherein the diluent is sugar spheres and wherein the core particles have an initial particle size between about 0.710 mm and 1.18 mm; and (b) a taste mask
coating, wherein the taste mask coating comprises between about 9% by weight and about 13% by weight of the pharmaceutical composition and wherein the coated particles of the pharmaceutical composition have a final particle size between about 0.850 mm
and 1.18 mm; and wherein the coated particles are sprinkled onto soft food and swallowed.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the taste mask coating comprises about 11% by weight of the pharmaceutical composition.
3. The method of claim 1, wherein the binder is selected from povidone, HPMC, sodium alginate, panwar gum, acacia gum, gelatin, sugar, molasses, starch, pregelatinized starch, methycellulose, ethylcellulose or caroboxymethylcellulose; and the taste mask coating comprises a taste masking agent and a disintegrant, wherein the taste masking agent is selected from cellulose acetate, methylcellulose, ethylcellulose, a Eudragit or cellulose acetate butyrate; and the disintegrant is selected from povidone, cellulose, carboxymethylcellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium aluminate silicate, starch, sodium starch glycolate, pregelatinized starch, alginic acid or guar gum.
4. The method of claim 3, wherein the binder is povidone, the taste masking agent is cellulose acetate and the disintegrant is povidone.
5. The method of claim 4, wherein the coated particles of the pharmaceutical composition are encapsulated.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.