DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 7,081,255
|Title:||Antifungal compositions with improved bioavailability|
|Abstract:||The present invention is concerned with novel pharmaceutical compositions of itraconazole which can be administered to a mammal suffering from a fungal infection, whereby a single such dosage form can be administered once daily, and in addition at any time of the day independently of the food taken in by said mammal. These novel compositions comprise particles obtainable by melt-extruding a mixture comprising itraconazole and an appropriate water-soluble polymer and subsequently milling said melt-extruded mixture.|
|Inventor(s):||Baert; Lieven Elvire Colette (Brugge, BE), Verreck; Geert (Malle, BE), Thone; Dany (Beerse, BE)|
|Assignee:||Janssen Pharmaceutica, N.V. (Beerse, BE)|
1. A pharmaceutical dosage form comprising a therapeutically effective amount of particles consisting of a solid dispersion comprising (a) itraconazole, or one of its
stereoisomers, or a mixture of two or three or four of its stereoisomers, and (b) one or more pharmaceutically acceptable water-soluble polymers, wherein the particle has a size of less than 600 .mu.m, and wherein the dosage form comprises by weight
based on the total weight of the dosage form: 21.65% itraconazole 32.48% HPMC 2910 5 mPss 30.57% spray-dried mixture of lactose monohydrate and microcrystalline cellulose in a 75:25 ratio 8.49% crospovidone 2.79% talc 0.93% hydrogenated vegetable oil
Type I 0.28% colloidal anhydrous silica 0.24% magnesium stearate, yielding 97.43% tablet core, and 1.47% HPMC 2910 5 mPss 0.37% propyleneglycol 0.29% talc 0.44% titanium dioxide, yielding 2.57% film-coat.
2. A dosage form according to claim 1 wherein the itraconazole is in a non-crystalline phase.
3. A dosage form according to claim 1 wherein the solid dispersion is in the form of a solid solution comprising (a) and (b), or in the form of a dispersion wherein amorphous or microcrystalline (a) or amorphous or microcrystalline (b) is dispersed in a solid solution comprising (a) and (b).
4. A dosage form according to claim 1 wherein the particle is obtained by melt-extrusion of the components and grinding, and optionally sieving.
5. A dosage form according to claim 1 further comprising one or more pharmaceutically acceptable excipients.
6. A dosage form according to claim 1 adapted for oral administration shaped as a tablet.
7. A dosage form according to claim 6 surrounded by a film-coat comprising a film-forming polymer, a plasticizer and optionally a pigment.
8. A dosage form according to claim 1 from which at least 85% of the available itraconazole dissolves within 60 minutes when a dosage form equivalent to 200 mg itraconazole is tested as set forth in USP test <711>in a USP-2 dissolution apparatus under conditions at least as stringent as the following: 900 ml phosphate buffer, pH 6.0, 37.degree. C. with paddles turning at 100 rpm.
9. A dosage form according to claim 1 wherein the particles are prepared by blending the components (a) and (b), extruding said blend at a temperature in the range of 120 300.degree. C., grinding the extrudate, and optionally sieving the particles.
10. A dosage form according to claim 1 prepared by blending a therapeutically effective amount of the particles with pharmaceutically acceptable excipients and compressing said blend into tablets.
11. A pharmaceutical package suitable for commercial sale comprising a container, a pharmaceutical dosage form of itraconazole as claimed in claim 1, and associated with said package written matter non-limited as to whether the dosage form can be taken with or without food.
12. A method of treating a fungal infection in a mammal comprising orally administering to the mammal an effective antifungal amount of itraconazole in a pharmaceutical dosage form as claimed in claim 1, wherein said pharmaceutical dosage from can be administered once daily.
13. The method of claim 12, wherein said pharmaceutical dosage form can be administered at any time of the day independently of the food taken in by said mammal.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.