DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,908,432
|Title:||Methods for delivering a drug to a patient while preventing the exposure of a foetus or other contraindicated individual to the drug|
|Abstract:||Novel methods for delivering a drug to a patient while preventing the exposure of a foetus or other contraindicated individual to the drug. Embodiments are provided in which the involved prescribers, pharmacies and patients are registered in one or more computer databases. Embodiments are also provided in which registered patients receive counseling information concerning the risks attendant to foetal exposure to the drug. Male patients and female patients who are not pregnant may, in certain circumstances, receive the drug.|
|Inventor(s):||Elsayed; Marc (Bridgewater, NJ), Williams; Bruce (Flemington, NJ)|
|Assignee:||Celgene Corporation (Warren, NJ)|
1. A method for distributing a teratogenic drug to a patient in need of the drug while preventing foetal exposure to the drug, said method comprising: a. regstering in a computer
readable storage medium physicians permitted to prescribe said drug; b. providing said patient with information concerning the teratogenic risks attendant to foetal exposure to said drug; c. obtaining the informed consent of said patient to receive
said drug despite said risks; d. registering said patient in said medium, including information concerning the ability of said patient to become pregnant or to impregnate a female; e. upon a determination that said patient is capable of becoming
pregnant or capable of impregnating a female, determining that said patient is not currently pregnant or counseling said patient capable of impregnating a female to use a contraceptive device or formulation when engaging in sexual intercourse with a
female, and registering same in said medium; f. permitting said patient access to said drug only after consulting said medium to verify that said patient (1) is a female who is not pregnant or (2) is a female incapable of becoming pregnant or (3) is a
male who has been counseled to use a contraceptive device or formulation when engaging in sexual intercourse with a female.
2. The method of claim 1 wherein said teratogenic drug is thalidomide.
3. The method of claim 1 wherein said contraceptive device is a condom.
4. The method of claim 1 wherein said access to said drug is provided in the form of a prescription.
5. The method of claim 4 wherein said prescription is for no more than about 28 days.
6. The method of claim 4, wherein before said prescription is refilled, said method further comprises: g. obtaining additional information regarding the likelihood that said patient may have become pregnant, and, based upon said additional information determining whether said patient could have become pregnant during the previous 28 days; and h. upon a determination that said patient could have become pregnant, administering a pregnancy rear to verify that said patient is not currently pregnant before said prescription is filled.
7. The method of claim 4, further comprising providing said patient capable of becoming pregnant with contraceptive counseling.
8. The method of any preceding claim, further comprising providing said patient with a contraceptive device or formulation.
9. The method according to claim 1, further comprising registering said patient and said pharmacy in a computer readable storage medium.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally: