DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,881,200
|Title:||Needleless syringe using super sonic gas flow for particle delivery|
|Abstract:||A needleless syringe having a membrane (28) which is ruptured by gas pressure to generate a supersonic gas flow in which particles containing a therapeutic agent are injected.|
|Inventor(s):||Bellhouse; Brian J. (Islip, GB), Sarphie; David F. (Oxford, GB), Greenford; John C. (Abingdon, GB)|
|Assignee:||PowderJect Research Limited (Oxford, GB)|
1. A sealed unit for use with a needleless syringe, the unit comprising first and second rupturable diaphragms which are directly or indirectly sealed to each other around
their edges to form a compartment which contains particles of a powdered therapeutic agent, wherein at least one of said first and second diaphragms is constructed from a material having a burst pressure of between 20 and 75 atmospheres in a pressure
chamber having a volume of between 1 and 5 ml, whereby said at least one diaphragm is rupturable by a flow of gas to initiate a gas flow through said sealed unit.
2. The unit of claim 1, in the form of a sealed rupturable sachet or capsule.
3. The unit of claim 2, further comprising a third diaphragm disposed between the first and second diaphragms to provide at least two compartments containing different powdered therapeutic agents.
4. The unit of claim 1 in which the powdered therapeutic agent is a stable mixture of drugs which are unstable when mixed wet.
5. The unit of claim 1 in which the therapeutic agent comprises insulin.
6. The unit of claim 1 in which the particles have a size predominantly in the range of 0.1 to 250 .mu.m.
7. A product according to claim 6, wherein the size range is 1 to 50 .mu.m, preferably 10 to 20 .mu.m.
8. A sealed capsule for use in a needleless syringe, wherein said capsule contains a dose of a powdered agent and has a burst pressure of between 20 and 75 atmospheres in a pressure chamber having a volume of between 1 and 5 ml, whereby said capsule will release the powdered agent for transdermal delivery thereof when said capsule is contacted with a source of pressurized gas.
9. The sealed capsule of claim 8 wherein said capsule comprises at least one membrane which retains the powdered agent within the capsule prior to contact with a source of pressurized gas.
10. The sealed capsule of claim 8 wherein the powdered agent is comprised of particles having a size predominantly in the range of 0.1 to 250 .mu.m.
11. The sealed capsule of claim 10 wherein the particles have a size predominantly in the range of about 10 to 20 .mu.m.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.