DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,842,640
|Title:||Electrotransport delivery device with voltage boosting circuit|
|Abstract:||An electrotransport device (10) for delivering therapeutic agents includes and adjustable voltage boost multiple controller (100, 200) for boosting the voltage from a power source (102, 202) to a working voltage V.sub.W having a value just sufficient to provide the desired therapeutic current level I.sub.I through the electrodes (108, 112), at least of which contains the therapeutic agent to be delivered.|
|Inventor(s):||Riddle; Thomas A. (Sunnyvale, CA), McNichols; Larry A. (Coon Rapids, MN), Badzinski; John D. (Coon Rapids, MN)|
|Assignee:||ALZA Corporation (Mountain View, CA)|
1. An electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator comprising: a first electrode for placement on an animal skin surface; a voltage booster circuit coupled to the
first electrode to provide a load voltage to the first electrode; a second electrode for placement on the animal skin surface; a current sensing resistor coupled in series to the second electrode to provide a selected current across the electrodes;
and a control circuit coupled to the voltage booster circuit and the current sensing resistor to automatically adjust the load voltage to a level sufficient to maintain a predetermined level of current across the electrodes at steady state.
2. The electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator of claim 1, wherein the voltage booster circuit comprises: an inductor circuit coupled to a power supply; and a capacitor coupled to the inductor circuit, wherein the control circuit controls the inductor circuit to generate a peak current, and the control circuit selectively couples the inductor circuit to the capacitor to discharge the peak current and charge the capacitor to the load voltage.
3. The electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator of claim 2, further comprising a switch having a first terminal coupled to the inductor, a second terminal coupled to ground, and a control input coupled to the control circuit.
4. The electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator of claim 3, further comprising a feedback loop coupled between the control circuit and the current sensing resistor for controlling an output of the control circuit to the control input of the switch.
5. The electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator of claim 2, wherein the switch is a field effect transistor.
6. The electrotransport transdermal agent delivery regulator of claim 1, further comprising a voltage limiter coupled to the control circuit and voltage booster circuit to limit the voltage provided to the first electrode to a predetermined range.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.