|Title:||Taste masked liquid pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||This invention is directed to a taste masked liquid pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutically active agent and a taste masking composition. In particular, the taste masking composition comprises a taste masking effective amount of an artificial sweetener.|
|Inventor(s):||Ulrich; Stephen A. (Cherry Hill, NJ), Zimm; Karen R. (Stockton, NJ), Francois; Marc Karel Jozef (Kapellen, BE), Dries; Willy Maria Albert Carlo (Merksplas, BE)|
|Assignee:||Ortho -McNeil Pharmaceutical, Inc. (Raritan, NJ)|
1. A taste-masked oral pharmaceutical solution comprising a quinolone-carboxylic acid antibiotic and a taste masking composition, said taste masking composition comprising
from about 0.05 to about 2.5 grams of sucralose per 100 ml of the solution, up to about 120 grams of a sugar sweetener per 100 ml of the solution, and at least one flavoring agent.
2. The solution of claim 1, wherein the flavoring agent is selected from the group consisting of natural flavors, natural fruit flavors, artificial flavors, artificial fruit flavors, flavor enhancers and mixtures thereof.
3. The solution of claim 1 comprising at least two flavoring agents.
4. The solution of claim 1, wherein the sugar sweetener is sucrose.
5. The solution of claim 4, wherein the sugar sweetener further comprises glycerin.
6. The solution of claim 1, wherein the sugar sweetener is present in an amount of from about 50 grams to about 110 grams per 100 ml of the solution.
7. The solution of claim 1 further comprising a debittering agent.
8. The solution of claim 1, wherein the quinolone-carboxylic acid antibiotic is levofloxacin.