DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,703,418
|Title:||Appetite stimulation and induction of weight gain in patients suffering from symptomatic HIV infection|
|Abstract:||Patients with symptomatic HIV infection, including AIDS and ARC are treated to increase appetite and to cause a reduction in loss of weight. The delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol may be administered orally, in capsules, or in tablets, or by injection, suppository, intranasal, transdermal, inhalant or sublingual administration.|
|Inventor(s):||Plasse; Terry (New York, NY)|
|Assignee:||Unimed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (|
1. A method of treating a patient with symptomatic HIV infection to stimulate weight gain in the patient, which comprises administering to the patient a pharmaceutical
composition comprising delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in an amount sufficient to cause an increase in weight of the patient.
2. The method according to claim 1 wherein said administration is orally.
3. The method according to claim 1 wherein said delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is administered in the form of capsules containing delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol in sesame oil.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is in a dosage form selected from the group consisting of intranasal solution or suspension, inhalant solution or suspension, parenteral solution or suspension, transdermal patch, transdermal gel, and transdermal cream.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is administered in a dosage form selected from the group consisting of tablet, capsule, inhalant, injectable, transdermal, sublingual, and suppository.
6. The method of claim 5, wherein the dosage form is an inhalant.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the inhalant is administered orally.
8. The method of claim 5, wherein the capsule is a soft gelatin capsule.
9. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is administered to a patient on antiviral therapy.
10. The method of claim 1, wherein the delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol is dronabinol.
11. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is administered to the patient by a route selected from the group consisting of oral, intranasal, inhalation, injection, transdermal, and sublingual.
12. The method of claim 11, wherein the inhalation comprises oral inhalation.
13. The method of claim 1, wherein the composition is administered in an amount from about 2.5 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol to about 20 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol per day.
14. The method of claim 13, wherein the composition is administered in an amount of about 2.5 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol per day.
15. The method of claim 13, wherein the composition is administered once daily.
16. The method of claim 13, wherein the composition is administered twice daily.
17. The method of claim 13, wherein the composition is administered in a single dose.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.