Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Anticipate generic drug launch
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Dose counter for medicament inhaler|
|Abstract:||A new and improved inhaler includes an accurate and consistent mechanical dose metering system that dispenses dry powdered medicament in discrete amounts or doses for patient inhalation, a pressure relief system that manages pressure within a medicament reservoir of the inhaler to ensure consistently dispensed doses, and a dose counting system indicating the number of doses remaining in the inhaler.|
|Inventor(s):||O'Leary; David (Essex, GB)|
|Assignee:||Norton Healthcare, Ltd. (London, GB)|
1. A medicament inhaler comprising: a mouthpiece for patient inhalation; a dose meter including a pawl movable along a predetermined path during the metering of a dose of
medicament to the mouthpiece; a dose counter including, a bobbin, a rotatable spool, a rolled ribbon received on the bobbin and rotatable about an axis of the bobbin, the ribbon having indicia thereon successively extending between a first end of the
ribbon secured to the spool and a second end of the ribbon positioned on the bobbin, and teeth extending radially outwardly from the spool into the predetermined path of the pawl so that the spool is rotated by the pawl and the ribbon is advanced onto
the spool during the metering of a dose.
2. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the spool rotates in a single direction.
3. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the dose counter includes a clutch spring secured to the spool and allowing rotation of the spool in a single direction.
4. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the indicia comprises numbers.
5. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the indicia are provided on a radially outwardly facing surface of the rolled ribbon.
6. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the predetermined path of the pawl is linear.
7. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the pawl moves in first and second directions along the predetermined path and is adapted to engage the teeth and advance the spool upon movement in the second direction.
8. An inhaler according to claim 1, further comprising a housing containing the dose counter and include a transparent window over the indicia of the ribbon.
9. An inhaler according to claim 1, further comprising a medicament reservoir including a dispensing port, and the dose meter meters a dose of medicament from the dispensing port to the mouthpiece.
10. An inhaler according to claim 9, wherein the reservoir is adapted to contain dry powdered medicament in bulk form.
11. An inhaler according to claim 1, wherein the indicia comprises numbers arranged to successively decrease as the ribbon is advanced onto the spool.
12. A medicament inhaler comprising: A. a housing having a case, a mouthpiece for patient inhalation, and a cover pivotally mounted to the case for covering the mouthpiece, said cover being movable between an opened position and a closed position; B. a dose counter received in said housing, said dose counter comprising: a bobbin, a rotatable spool, a rolled ribbon received on the bobbin and rotatable about an axis of the bobbin, the ribbon having indicia thereon successively extending between a first end of the ribbon secured to the spool and a second end of the ribbon positioned on the bobbin, teeth extending radially outwardly from the spool; and C. transmission means engaging with said cover and said teeth, such that said spool is rotated by said transmission means when said cover moves from an opened position to a closed position or moves from a closed position to an opened position.
13. A medicament inhaler according to claim 12, wherein said transmission means comprises at least one cam pivotally connected to said case and said cover, at least one yoke received within said case, said at least one yoke having at least one cam follower adapted for engaging with said cam, and a pawl extending from said yoke for engaging with said teeth.
14. A medicament inhaler according to claim 12 further comprising reverse rotation prevention means to prevent reverse rotation of said spool.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.