DrugPatentWatch Database Preview
« Back to Dashboard
Summary for Patent: 6,696,493
|Title:||Treating chronic uremic patients undergoing periodic dialysis|
|Abstract:||The method for the treatment of chronic uremic patients undergoing periodical dialysis is useful for preventing and/or treating carnitine deficiency in patients with end stage renal disease who are undergoing dialysis. The method according to the present invention comprises administering an effective dose of carnitine intravenously into the venous return line after each dialysis session.|
|Inventor(s):||Cavazza; Claudio (Rome, IT)|
|Assignee:||Sigma-Tau Industrie Farmaceutiche Riunite S.p.A. (Rome, IT)|
1. A method of preventing or treating carnitine deficiency in chronic uremic patients undergoing periodic dialysis comprising administering to a patient at the conclusion of
the dialysis into a venous return line after a dialysis session from about 10 to about 20 mg/kg body weight of carnitine, calculated as L-carnitine, or of a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof to restore a level of carnitine in the patient to a
pre-dialytic level of at least 40 .mu.M, and thereafter reducing the amount of carnitine administered to a level sufficient to maintain carnitine levels to the pre-dialytic level.
2. The method of claim 1, wherein the treatment to achieve pre-dialytic levels is on a weekly basis repeated twice a week every 44 hours, then after 68 hours.
3. The method of claim 2, wherein the treatment is continued for 3-4 weeks.
4. The method of claim 1, wherein the pre-dialytic level of carnitine is at least 50 .mu.M.
5. The method of claim 1, wherein a maintenance dosage of about 5 mg/kg of carnitine is administered.
6. A method of preventing or treating carnitine deficiency in chronic uremic patients undergoing periodic dialysis comprising administering to a patient at the conclusion of the dialysis into a venous return line from about 10 to about 20 mg/kg body weight of carnitine, calculated as L-carnitine, or of a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof, wherein the administering of L-carnitine or of a pharmaceutically acceptable salt thereof is prompted by the patient demonstrating an initial pre-dialysis plasma carnitine level equal or lower than 50 .mu.M.
7. The method of claim 6, wherein the initial pre-dialysis concentration is equal or lower than 40 .mu.M.
For more information try a trial or see the plans and pricing
Serving hundreds of leading biopharmaceutical companies globally:
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.