Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Manage your formulary budget
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
|Title:||Semi-solid delivery vehicle and pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||A semi-solid delivery vehicle contains a polyorthoester and an excipient, and a semi-solid pharmaceutical composition contains an active agent and the delivery vehicle. The pharmaceutical composition may be a topical, syringable, or injectable formulation; and is suitable for local delivery of the active agent. Methods of treatment are also disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Ng; Steven Y. (San Francisco, CA), Shen; Hui-Rong (Fremont, CA), Heller; Jorge (Woodside, CA)|
|Assignee:||A.P. Pharma, Inc. (Redwood City, CA)|
1. A semi-solid delivery vehicle, comprising: (a) a polyorthoester of formula I or formula II ##STR14##
where: R is a bond, --(CH.sub.2).sub.a --, or --(CH.sub.2).sub.b --O--(CH.sub.2).sub.c --; where a is an integer of 1 to 10, and b and c are independently integers of 1 to 5; R* is a C.sub.1-4 alkyl; n is an integer of at least 5; and A is R.sup.1, R.sup.2, R.sup.3, or R.sup.4, where R.sup.1 is: ##STR15##
where: p is an integer of 1 to 20; R.sup.5 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; and R.sup.6 is: ##STR16##
where: s is an integer of 0 to 30; t is an integer of 2 to 200; and R.sup.7 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; ##STR17##
where: x is an integer of 0 to 30; y is an integer of 2 to 200; R.sup.8 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; R.sup.9 and R.sup.10 are independently C.sub.1-12 alkylene; R.sup.11 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-6 alkyl and R.sup.11 is C.sub.1-6 alkyl; or R.sup.11 and R.sup.12 together are C.sub.3-10 alkylene; and R.sup.4 is the residue of a diol containing at least one functional group independently selected from amide, imide, urea, and urethane groups; in which at least 0.1 mol percent of the A units are of the formula R.sup.1, and (b) a pharmaceutically acceptable, polyorthoester-compatible liquid excipient selected from polyethylene glycol ether derivatives having a molecular weight between 200 and 4000, polyethylene glycol copolymers having a molecular weight between 400 and 4000, mono-, di-, or tri-glycerides of a C.sub.2-19 aliphatic carboxylic acid or a mixture of such acids, alkoxylated tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohols and their C.sub.1-4 alkyl ethers and C.sub.2-19 aliphatic carboxylic acid esters, and biocompatible oils.
2. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the concentration of the polyorthoester ranges from 1% to 99% by weight.
3. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the polyorthoester has a molecular weight between 1000 and 20,000.
4. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the fraction of the A units that are of the formula R.sup.1 is between 1 and 90 mol percent.
5. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the polyorthoester is of formula I, where: none of the units have A equal to R.sup.2 ; R.sup.3 is: ##STR18##
where: x is an integer of 0 to 10; y is an integer of 2 to 30; and R.sup.6 is: ##STR19##
where: s is an integer of 0 to 10; t is an integer of 2 to 30; and R.sup.5, R.sup.7, and R.sup.8 are independently hydrogen or methyl.
6. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 5 where: R.sup.3 and R.sup.6 are both --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2 --O).sub.2 --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2)--; R.sup.5 is methyl; and p is 1 or 2.
7. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 6 where: R.sup.3 and R.sup.6 are both --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2 --O).sub.9 --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2)--; R.sup.5 is methyl; and p is 1 or 2.