Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Semi-solid delivery vehicle and pharmaceutical compositions|
|Abstract:||A semi-solid delivery vehicle contains a polyorthoester and an excipient, and a semi-solid pharmaceutical composition contains an active agent and the delivery vehicle. The pharmaceutical composition may be a topical, syringable, or injectable formulation; and is suitable for local delivery of the active agent. Methods of treatment are also disclosed.|
|Inventor(s):||Ng; Steven Y. (San Francisco, CA), Shen; Hui-Rong (Fremont, CA), Heller; Jorge (Woodside, CA)|
|Assignee:||A.P. Pharma, Inc. (Redwood City, CA)|
1. A semi-solid delivery vehicle, comprising: (a) a polyorthoester of formula I or formula II ##STR14##
where: R is a bond, --(CH.sub.2).sub.a --, or --(CH.sub.2).sub.b --O--(CH.sub.2).sub.c --; where a is an integer of 1 to 10, and b and c are independently integers of 1 to 5; R* is a C.sub.1-4 alkyl; n is an integer of at least 5; and A is R.sup.1, R.sup.2, R.sup.3, or R.sup.4, where R.sup.1 is: ##STR15##
where: p is an integer of 1 to 20; R.sup.5 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; and R.sup.6 is: ##STR16##
where: s is an integer of 0 to 30; t is an integer of 2 to 200; and R.sup.7 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; ##STR17##
where: x is an integer of 0 to 30; y is an integer of 2 to 200; R.sup.8 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-4 alkyl; R.sup.9 and R.sup.10 are independently C.sub.1-12 alkylene; R.sup.11 is hydrogen or C.sub.1-6 alkyl and R.sup.11 is C.sub.1-6 alkyl; or R.sup.11 and R.sup.12 together are C.sub.3-10 alkylene; and R.sup.4 is the residue of a diol containing at least one functional group independently selected from amide, imide, urea, and urethane groups; in which at least 0.1 mol percent of the A units are of the formula R.sup.1, and (b) a pharmaceutically acceptable, polyorthoester-compatible liquid excipient selected from polyethylene glycol ether derivatives having a molecular weight between 200 and 4000, polyethylene glycol copolymers having a molecular weight between 400 and 4000, mono-, di-, or tri-glycerides of a C.sub.2-19 aliphatic carboxylic acid or a mixture of such acids, alkoxylated tetrahydrofurfuryl alcohols and their C.sub.1-4 alkyl ethers and C.sub.2-19 aliphatic carboxylic acid esters, and biocompatible oils.
2. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the concentration of the polyorthoester ranges from 1% to 99% by weight.
3. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the polyorthoester has a molecular weight between 1000 and 20,000.
4. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the fraction of the A units that are of the formula R.sup.1 is between 1 and 90 mol percent.
5. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 1 where the polyorthoester is of formula I, where: none of the units have A equal to R.sup.2 ; R.sup.3 is: ##STR18##
where: x is an integer of 0 to 10; y is an integer of 2 to 30; and R.sup.6 is: ##STR19##
where: s is an integer of 0 to 10; t is an integer of 2 to 30; and R.sup.5, R.sup.7, and R.sup.8 are independently hydrogen or methyl.
6. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 5 where: R.sup.3 and R.sup.6 are both --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2 --O).sub.2 --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2)--; R.sup.5 is methyl; and p is 1 or 2.
7. The semi-solid delivery vehicle of claim 6 where: R.sup.3 and R.sup.6 are both --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2 --O).sub.9 --(CH.sub.2 --CH.sub.2)--; R.sup.5 is methyl; and p is 1 or 2.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.