Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Controlled release formulation of divalproex sodium|
|Abstract:||A new oral polymeric controlled release formulation suitable for the once-a-day administration of valproate compounds, such as divalproex sodium, has been discovered. This formulation exhibits significant advantages over the sustained release valproate formulations of the prior art. This formulation minimizes the variation between peak and trough plasma levels of valproate over a 24 hour dosing period. This formulation follows a zero-order release pattern thus producing essentially flat plasma levels of valproate, once steady-state levels have been achieved. This results in a significantly lower incidence of side effects for patients consuming such a formulation.|
|Inventor(s):||Qiu; Yihong (Gumee, IL), Bollinger; J. Daniel (Libertyville, IL), Cheskin; Howard S. (Glencoe, IL), Dutta; Sandeep (Waukegan, IL), Engh; Kevin R. (Kenosha, WI), Poska; Richard P. (Mundelein, IL)|
|Assignee:||Abbott Laboratories (Abbott Park, IL)|
1. An oral hydrophilic matrix formulation suitable for once-a-day administration comprising: a) from about 40 to about 80 w/w% of divalproex sodium, which is in admixture with; b) a
pharmaceutically acceptable hydrophilic polymer in which said hydrophilic polymer is present in the quantity of from about 20% to about 50%, by weight of the formulation, and said hydrophilic polymer is selected from the group consisting of
polyvinylpyrrolidine, hydroxypropylcellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, methyl cellulose, vinyl acetate copolymers, polysaccharides, polyethylene oxide, methacrylic acid copolymers, and maleic anhydride/methyl vinyl ether copolymers, and; c) when
said formulation is ingested orally by healthy human subjects: i. said formulation produces a C.sub.max that is statistically significantly lower than the C.sub.max produced by a delayed release enteric coated divalproex sodium tablet given twice daily,
when each is determined at steady state in a healthy fasting population, ii. a C.sub.min that is not statistically significantly different from the C.sub.min produced by said delayed release divalproex sodium tablet, when each C.sub.min is determined at
steady state in a healthy fasting population, and; iii. said formulation produces an AUC value that is equivalent to the AUC value generated by said divalproex sodium delayed release tablet, when each AUC is determined at steady state in a healthy
2. The formulation according to claim 1 which said polymer is selected from the group consisting of hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose and methyl cellulose.
3. The formulation according to claim 2 in which said polymer is present in the quantity of from about 25% to about 45%, by weight of the formulation.
4. The formulation according to claim 1 in which said divalproex sodium is present in the quantity of from about 45% to about 65%, by weight of the formulation.
5. The formulation according to claim 1 which further comprises at least one excipient selected from the group consisting of diluents, lubricants, glidants, and binders.
6. The formulation according to claim 5 in which said excipients comprise from about 10% to about 40%, by weight, of the formulation.
7. The formulation according to claim 1 in which: a) said divalproex sodium is present in the quantity of from about 45% to about 65%, by weight of the formulation; b) said hydrophilic polymer is present in the quantity of from about 25% to about 45% by weight of the formulation and is selected from the group consisting of hydroxypropyl cellulose, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose and methyl cellulose.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.