Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Anticipate generic drug launch
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Hot-melt extrudable pharmaceutical formulation|
|Abstract:||The present invention relates to pharmaceutical formulations comprising a hot-melt extrudable mixture of a therapeutic compound and a high molecular weight poly(ethylene oxide) in an essentially non-film like preparation. In some embodiments, the formulation further comprises poly(ethylene glycol). The present invention also includes efficient methods for hot-melt extruding pharmaceutical formulations in essentially non-film preparations.|
|Inventor(s):||McGinity; James W. (Austin, TX), Zhang; Feng (Austin, TX)|
|Assignee:||The University of Texas System (Austin, TX)|
1. A non-film controlled release pharmaceutical formulation comprising an effective amount of a therapeutic compound and a high molecular weight poly(ethylene oxide), wherein
the poly(ethylene oxide) has a molecular weight of about 1,000,000 to about 10,000,000 Daltons, and wherein the poly(ethylene oxide) and the therapeutic compound comprise a ratio of poly(ethylene oxide) to therapeutic compound of from about 99.99:.01
weight percent to about 50:50 weight percent.
2. The non-film controlled release pharmaceutical formulation of claim 1 further comprising a plasticizer.
3. The non-film controlled release formulation of claim 2 wherein the plasticizer is selected from the group consisting of: an oligomer, a copolymer, an oil, a organic molecule, a polyol having aliphatic hydroxyls, an ester-type plasticizer, a glycol ether, poly(propylene glycol), a multi-block polymer, a single block polymer, and a poly(ethylene oxide) having a molecular weight less than about 500,000 Daltons.
4. The non-film controlled release pharmaceutical preparation of claim 3, wherein the polyethythene oxide is further defined as polyethylene oxide having a molecular weight less than about 500,000 Daltons.
5. The non-film controlled release pharmaceutical formulation of claim 4, further comprising poly(ethylene glycol).
6. The non-film controlled release pharmaceutical formulation of claim 1 wherein said formulation is prepared by a process of hot-melt extrusion.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.