Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Abstract:||This invention relates to single dose dry powder inhalers in which medicament is stored in a capsule and is released by piercing the capsule wall with polymer-coated steel pins. Methods of preparation of polymer-coated piercing means and their use in releasing the medicament from the capsule are described.|
|Inventor(s):||Moulin; Claude (Sion, CH)|
|Assignee:||Novartis AG (Basel, CH)|
1. An inhaler device comprising a steel capsule-piercing means for piercing a capsule, wherein at least a portion of said steel capsule piercing means which comes in contact
with and pierces the capsule, is coated with (1) an alloy layer wherein the alloy comprises at least one metal selected from the group consisting of chromium, Group VIII metal, and the noble metal; and (2) an alloy matrix layer wherein the alloy matrix
comprises (i) inert polymer particles, and (ii) an alloy comprising at least one metal selected from the group consisting of chromium, Group VIII metal, and noble metal.
2. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the metal is selected from the group consisting of iron, cobalt, nickel, ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, and combinations thereof.
3. The inhaler device according to claim 2 wherein the metal is nickel.
4. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the alloy matrix additionally comprises phosphorus.
5. The inhaler device according to claim 4, wherein the alloy comprises nickel and phosphorus.
6. The inhaler device according to claim 5 wherein the alloy comprises 90 to 93 weight percent nickel and 7 to 10 weight percent phosphorous, based on the total weight of the alloy.
7. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the polymer is a fluorocarbon polymer.
8. The inhaler device according to claim 7 wherein the polymer is polytetrafluoroethylene.
9. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the steel capsule piercing means is coated with (1) an alloy layer comprising nickel and phosphorous, and (2) an alloy matrix layer comprising nickel, phosphorous, and particles of polytetrafloroethylene.
10. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the alloy layer has a thickness of from about 5 to about 15 microns and the alloy matrix layer has a thickness of 3 to 10 microns.
11. The inhaler device according to claim 1 wherein the alloy matrix layer contains 20 to 30% by volume polytetrafluoroethylene.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.