Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Find generic entry opportunities
Manage your formulary budget
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process for the preparation of polymer-based sustained release compositions|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a sustained release composition and methods of forming and using said composition for the sustained release of biologically active agent. The sustained release compositions of the invention comprise a biocompatible polymer and a biologically active agent characterized by a porous center and a less porous outer layer wherein the center and outer layer consist of essentially the same materials. The sustained release compositions can be prepared by annealing at least a substantial portion of the exterior surface of a polymer/active agent matrix. The compositions which have been annealed exhibit a decrease in the release of agent over the first 24 hours following administration (i.e., reduced burst) and as a result can show an increase in the duration of sustained release thereby providing increased therapeutic benefits.|
|Inventor(s):||Jaworowicz; Warren E. (Boxboro, MA), Wright; James I. (Lexington, MA)|
|Assignee:||Alkermes Controlled Therapeutics, Inc. (Cambridge, MA)|
1. A sustained release composition comprising microparticles of a biocompatible polymer and a biologically active protein characterized by a porous center and a less porous
outer layer, wherein the center and the outer layer consist of essentially the same materials.
2. The sustained release composition of claim 1 wherein the biocompatible polymer is biodegradable.
3. The sustained release composition of claim 2 wherein the biodegradable polymer is selected from the group consisting of poly(lactide)s, poly(glycolide)s, poly(lactide-coglycolide)s, poly(lactic acid)s, poly(glycolic acid)s, poly(lactic acid-co-glycolic acid)s, poly(caprolactone), polycarbonates, polyesteramides, polyanhydrides, poly(amino acid)s, poly(ortho ester)s, polycyanoacrylates, polyamides, polyacetals, poly(ether ester)s, copolymers of poly(ethylene glycol) and poly(ortho ester)s, poly(dioxanone)s, poly(alkylene alkylate)s, biodegradable polyurethanes, blends and copolymers thereof.
4. The sustained release composition of claim 3 wherein said polymer is poly(lactide-co-glycolide).
5. The sustained release composition of claim 1 wherein the biocompatible polymer is non-biodegradable.
6. A method of providing a therapeutically effective level of an active agent in a subject for a sustained period comprising administering to the subject a dose of the sustained release composition of claim 1.
7. The microparticles of claim 1, wherein the porous outer layer comprises from about 5% to about 30% by weight of the microparticles.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.