Anticipate generic drug launch
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Manage your formulary budget
Find generic entry opportunities
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Flat-rate pricing for predictable budgeting
Short-term plans for project- or client-based billing
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Process for removing bile salts from a patient and alkylated compositions therefor|
|Abstract:||The invention relates to a method for removing bile salts from a patient in need thereof and compositions useful in the method. The method comprises administering to the patient a therapeutically effective amount of a salt of an alkylated and crosslinked polymer. The alkylated and crosslinked polymer salt comprises the reaction product of crosslinked polymers, or salts and copolymers thereof having amine containing repeat units, with at least one aliphatic alkylating agent.|
|Inventor(s):||Mandeville, III; W. Harry (Lynnfield, MA), Holmes-Farley; Stephen Randall (Arlington, MA)|
|Assignee:||GelTex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Waltham, MA)|
1. The salt of an alkylated and crosslinked polymer comprising the reaction product of: (a) one or more crosslinked polymers, or salts and copolymers thereof having a repeat
unit selected from the group consisting of: ##STR3##
where n is a positive integer and each R, independently, is H or a C.sub.1 -C.sub.8 alkyl group; (b) at least one aliphatic alkylating agent, said reaction product characterized in that: (i) at least some of the nitrogen atoms in said repeat units unreacted with said alkylating agent; (ii) less than 10 mol % of the nitrogen atoms in said repeat units reacting with said alkylating agent forming quaternary ammonium units; and (iii) a fixed positive charge and one or more counterions.
2. The polymer salt of claim 1 wherein at least one of said counterions is Cl.sup.-, Br.sup.-, CHOSO.sub.3.sup.-, HSO.sub.4.sup.-, SO.sub.4.sup.2-, HCO.sub.3.sup.-, CO.sub.3.sup.2-.
3. The polymer salt of claim 1 wherein said polymer is crosslinked by means of a multifunctional crosslinking agent, said agent being present in an amount from about 0.5-25% by weight, based upon the combined weight of monomer and crosslinking agent.
4. The polymer salt of claim 1 wherein the crosslinking agent comprises epichlorohydrin.
5. The polymer salt of claim 1 wherein said alkylating agent has the formula RX where R is a C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkyl, C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 hydroxyalkyl, C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkylammonium, or C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkylamido group and X is one or more electrophilic leaving groups.
6. The polymer salt of claim 5 wherein said alkylating agent comprises a C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkyl halide.
7. The polymer salt of claim 5 wherein said alkylating agent comprises a C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkyl halide ammonium salt.
8. The polymer salt of claim 7 wherein said alkyl halide ammonium salt is a C.sub.4 -C.sub.12 haloalkyl trimethylammonium salt.
9. The polymer salt of claim 1 wherein said polymer is reacted with at least two of said alkylating agent, one of said alkylating agents has the formula RX where R is a C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkyl group and X is one or more electrophilic leaving groups, and the other of said alkylating agents has the formula R'X where R' is a C.sub.1 -C.sub.20 alkyl ammonium group and X is one or more electrophilic leaving groups.
10. The polymer salt of claim 9 wherein one of said alkylating agents having the formula RX is an alkyl halide and the other of said alkylating agents having the formula R'X is an alkyl halide ammonium salt.
11. The polymer salt of claim 10 wherein said alkyl halide is a C.sub.4 -C.sub.20 alkyl halide and said alkyl halide ammonium salt is a C.sub.4 -C.sub.18 alkyl halide ammonium salt.
12. The polymer salt of claim 11 wherein said alkyl halide is a C.sub.10 alkyl halide and said alkyl halide ammonium salt is a C.sub.6 alkyl halide trimethyl ammonium salt.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.