Generated: May 30, 2017
|Title:||Methylphenidate modified release formulations|
|Abstract:||A pharmaceutical MR (modified release) multiparticulate dosage form such as a capsule (once-a-day MR Capsule) of Methylphenidate indicated for the treatment of children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), capable of delivering a portion of the dose for rapid onset of action and the remainder of the dose in a controlled manner for about 12 hours, is composed of a multitude of multicoated particles made of two populations of drug layered beads, IR (immediate release) and ER (extended release) Beads. The IR beads preferably are made by layering an aqueous solution comprising a drug and a binder on to non-pareil sugar spheres and then applying a seal coat to the drug coated cores. The ER Beads are made by applying an extended release coating of a water insoluble dissolution rate controlling polymer such as ethylcellulose to IR Beads. The MR Capsules are manufactured by filling IR and ER Beads in a proper ratio; the dose and the ratio required for an efficacious, cost effective and patient compliant treatment of children with ADHD were determined from extensive clinical investigations and in vitro- in vivo correlations performed as per FDA Guidelines, Guidance for Industry: Extended Release Oral Dosage Forms.|
|Inventor(s):||Bettman; Marie J. (Clayton, OH), Percel; Phillip J. (Troy, OH), Hensley; Dan L. (Huber Heights, OH), Vishnupad; Krishna S. (Dayton, OH), Venkatesh; Gopi M. (Dayton, OH)|
|Assignee:||Eurand America, Inc. (Vandalia, OH)|
1. A modified release methylphenidate hydrochloride capsule comprising immediate release (IR) and extended release (ER) methylphenidate-containing beads wherein the immediate
release beads are present in an amount of about 20 to 40 percent and the extended release beads are present in an amount of about 60 to 80 percent and the total amount of methylphenidate hydrochloride present is about 10 to 40 mg; further wherein the
immediate release beads are made up of a core particle coated with a layer of a methylphenidate-containing water soluble film-forming composition and the extended release beads are made up of a core particle layered with a methylphenidate-containing
water soluble film-forming composition which is further coated with a dissolution rate controlling polymer in an amount up to 20 percent, and when the immediate release and the extended release beads are mixed in the amounts shown in the following table
and tested using USP apparatus 2 at 50 rpm in 500 ml water, the mixed beads release methylphenidate approximately in the percentages shown in the following table based on the total methylphenidate:
2. The capsule of claim 1 wherein the dissolution rate controlling polymer is ethylcellulose.
3. The capsule of claim 2 wherein the methylphenidate containing film-forming composition is a composition of polyvinylpyrrolidone.
4. The capsule of claim 3 wherein, when mixed in the amount shown in the following table, the immediate release and the extended release beads release the methylphenidate in the percentages shown in the following table.
5. The capsule of claim 4 wherein the dissolution rate controlling polymer is a plasticized dissolution rate controlling water insoluble ethylcellulose formulation wherein the plasticizer is selected from the group of dibutyl sebacate, triethyl citrate, diethyl phthalate, tributyl citrate, triacetin and mixtures thereof.
6. The capsule of claim 5 wherein the immediate release and extended release beads are further coated with a seal coat in an amount up to about 4%.
7. The capsule of claim 6 wherein the seal coat is hydroxypropylmethylcellulose.
8. The capsule of claim 1 wherein the immediate release and extended release beads are mixed in the ratios shown in the table in claim 1 and release methylphenidate approximately in the percentages shown in the table in claim 1.
9. The capsule of claim 4 wherein the immediate release and extended release beads are mixed in the ratios shown in the table in claim 4 and release methylphenidate approximately in the percentages shown in the table in claim 4.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.