1. A method for reducing the side effects of active components administered to a diabetic patient, which comprises administering to said patient a therapeutically effective
amount of a compound represented by the formula: ##STR8##
wherein R' represents an optionally substituted hydrocarbon or heterocyclic group; Y represents a group represented by --CO--, --CH(OH)-- or --NR.sup.3 -- wherein R.sup.3 represents an optionally substituted alkyl group; m is 0 or 1; n is 0, 1
or 2; X represents CH or N; A represents a bond or a C.sub.1-7 divalent aliphatic hydrocarbon group; Q represents an oxygen atom or sulfur atom; R.sup.1 represents hydrogen atom or an alkyl group; ring E may optionally have 1 to 4 further
substituents, and the substituents may optionally be combined with R.sup.1 to form a ring; L and M respectively represent a hydrogen atom, or L and M may optionally be combined with each other to form a bond; with a proviso that R' does not represent
benzopyranyl group when m and n are 0, X represents CH, A represents a bond, Q represents sulfur atom, R.sup.1, L and M represent hydrogen atoms and ring E does not have further substituents; or a pharmacologically acceptable salt thereof, in
combination with an insulin preparation as said active components.
2. The method according to claim 1, wherein the compound represented by the formula (II) is the compound represented by the formula: ##STR9##
3. The method according to claim 1, wherein the compound represented by the formula (II) is pioglitazone or its pharmacologically acceptable salts.
4. The method according to claim 1, wherein the insulin preparation is a human insulin preparation.
5. The method according to claim 1, wherein the compound represented by the formula (II) is 5-[[4-[2-(methyl-2-pyridylamino)ethoxy]phenyl]methyl-2,4-thiazolidinedione or its pharmacologically acceptable salts.
6. The method according to claim 1, wherein R' is an optionally substituted heterocyclic group.
7. The method according to claim 6, wherein R' is selected from the group consisting of 2-pyridyl, 3-pyridyl, 4-pyridyl, 2-pyrimidinyl, 4-pyrimidinyl, 5-pyrimidinyl, 6-pyrimidinyl, 3-pyridazinyl, 4-pyridazinyl, 2-pyrazinyl, 2-pyrrolyl,
3-pyrrolyl, 2-imidazolyl, 4-imidazolyl, 5-imidazolyl, 3-pyrazolyl, 4-pyrazolyl, isothiazolyl, isoxazolyl, 2-thiazolyl, 4-thiazolyl, 5-thiazolyl, 2-oxazolyl, 4-oxazolyl, 5-oxazolyl, 1,2,4-oxadiazol-5-yl, 1,2,4-triazol-3-yl, 1,2,3-triazol-4-yl,
tetrazol-5-yl, benzimidazol-2-yl, indol-3-yl, 1H-indazol-3-yl, 1H-pyrrolo[2,3-b]pyrazin-2-yl, 1H-pyrrolo[2,3-b]pyridin-6-yl, 1 H-imidazo[4,5-b]pyridin-2-yl, 1H-imidazo[4,5-c]pyridin-2-yl, 1H-imidazo[4,5-b]pyrazin-2-yl and benzopyranyl; each of which may
have 1 to 5 substituents selected from the group consisting of C.sub.1-15 aliphatic hydrocarbon group; C.sub.3-12 alicyclic hydrocarbon group; C.sub.6-14 aryl group; aromatic heterocyclic group selected from the group consisting of furyl, thienyl,
pyrrolyl, oxazolyl, isoxazolyl, thiazolyl, isothiazolyl, imidazolyl, pyrazolyl, 1,2,3-oxadiazolyl, 1,2,4,-oxadiazolyl, 1,3,4-oxadiazolyl, furazanyl, 1,2,3-thiadiazolyl, 1,2,4-thiadiazolyl, 1,3,4-thiadiazolyl, 1,2,3-triazolyl, 1,2,4-triazolyl, tetrazolyl,
pyridyl, pyridazinyl, pyrimidinyl, pyrazinyl, triazinyl, benzofuranyl, isobenzofuranyl, benzo[b]thienyl, indolyl, isoindolyl, 1H-indazolyl, benzimidazolyl, benzoxazolyl, 1,2-benzoisoxazolyl, benzothiazolyl, 1,2-benzoisothiazolyl, 1H1-benzotriazolyl,
quinolyl, isoquinolyl, cinnolinyl, quinazolinyl, quinoxalinyl, phthalazinyl, naphthylidinyl, purinyl, pteridinyl, carbozolyl, .alpha.-carbolinyl, .beta.-carbolinyl, y-carbolinyl, acridinyl, phenoxazinyl, phenothiazinyl, phenazinyl, phenoxathiinyl,
thianthrenyl, phenathridinyl, phenathrolinyl, indolizinyl, pyrrolo[2-b]pyridazinyl, pyrazolo[5-a]pyridyl, imidazo[1,2-a]pyridyl, imidazo[1,5-a]pyridyl, imidazo[1,2-b]pyridazinyl, imidazo[1,2-a]pyrimidinyl, 1,2,4triazolo[4,3-a]pyridyl and
1,2,4-triazolo[4,3-b]pyridazinyl; non-aromatic heterocyclic group selected from the group consisting of oxiranyl, azetidinyl, oxetanyl, thietanyl, pyrrolidinyl, tetrahydrofuryl, thiolanyl, piperidyl, tetrahydropyranyl, morpholinyl, thiomorpholinyl,
piperazinyl, pyrrolidino, piperidino, morpholino and thiomorpholino; halogen atom; nitro group; amino groups which may have one or two substituents selected from C.sub.1-10 alkyl group, C.sub.2-10 alkenyl group, C.sub.2-10 alkynyl group, aromatic
group, heterocyclic group or C.sub.1-10 acyl group; C.sub.1-13 acyl group which may be substituted by C.sub.1-3 alkyl group, C.sub.1-3 alkoxy group, halogen atom, nitro group, hydroxyl group or amino group; hydroxyl group; C.sub.1-10 alkoxy group;
C.sub.3-10 cycloalkyloxy group; C.sub.2-10 alkenyloxy group; C3-10 cycloalkenyloxy group; C.sub.7-10 aralkyloxy group; C.sub.2-13 acyloxy group; C.sub.6-14 aryloxy group which may be substituted with one or two halogen atoms; thiol group;
C.sub.1-10 alkylthio group; C.sub.3-10 cycloalkylthio group; C.sub.2-10 alkenylthio group; C.sub.3-10 cycloalkenylthio group, C.sub.7-10 aralkylthio group, C.sub.2-13 acylthio group; C.sub.6-14 arylthio group which may be substituted with one or two
halogen atoms; carboxyl group; C.sub.2-5 alkoxycarbonyl group; C.sub.8-10 aralkyloxycarbonyl group; C.sub.7-15 aryloxycarbonyl group; amidino group; carbamoyl group; sulfamoyl group; sulfo group; cyano group; azido group and nitroso group.