Proactively manage your pharmacy inventory
Anticipate generic drug launch
Find generic entry opportunities
Drug patents …
… from Kazakhstan to Kalamazoo
Manage your formulary budget
Deep knowledge on
small-molecule drugs and
the 110,000 global patents
Upgrade to enjoy subscriber-only features like email alerts and data export. See the Plans and Pricing
|Title:||Topical treatment or prevention of ocular infections|
|Abstract:||The topical application of an azalide antibiotic such as azithromycin to the eye is useful in treating or preventing ocular infections. In one embodiment, the azalide antibiotic is supplied to the eye in a depot for sustained release. A more convenient dosing regimen can also be provided by the use of an appropriate depot. Furthermore, a composition containing a combination of medicaments is also provided.|
|Inventor(s):||Dawson; Chandler R. (Mill Valley, CA), Bowman; Lyle M. (Pleasanton, CA)|
|Assignee:||InSite Vision, Incorporated (Alameda, CA)|
1. A process for treating an eye, which comprises:
topically applying an aqueous polymeric suspension of an azalide antibiotic, wherein said suspension comprises water, 0.01% to 1.0% of an azalide antibiotic, and 0.1 to 10% of a polymeric suspending agent.
2. The process according to claim 1, wherein said polymeric suspending agent is a water-swellable water-insoluble crosslinked carboxy-vinyl polymer.
3. The process according to claim 2, wherein the polymer comprises at least 90% acrylic acid monomers and 0.1% to 5% crosslinking agent.
4. The process according to claim 3, wherein the crosslinking agent comprises a difunctional crosslinking agent.
5. The process according to claim 4, wherein said crosslinking agent is selected from the group consisting of divinyl glycol, 2,3-dihydroxyhexa-1,5-diene, 2,5-dimethyl-1,5-hexadiene, divinylbenzene, N,N-diallylacrylamide, N,N-diallymethacrylamide, and mixtures thereof.
6. The process according to claim 3, wherein said polymer comprises a polycarbophil.
7. The process according to claim 3, wherein said polymeric suspending agent is contained in an amount of from about 0.5 to 1.2%.
8. The process according to claim 7, wherein said polymer has a monodisperse particle size distribution.
9. The process according to claim 8, wherein said azalide antibiotic comprises azithromycin.
10. The process according to claim 9, wherein said azalide antibiotic comprises azithromycin dihydrate.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.