|Abstract:||Somatostain analogues comprising the amino acid sequence of the formula (I): -(D/L)Trp-Lys-X.sub.1 -X.sub.2, wherein X.sub.1 is a substituted Thr, Ser, Tyr, Glu or Cys residue and X.sub.2 is an .alpha.-amino acid having an aromatic residue on the C.sub..alpha. side chain, or an amino acid unit selected from Dab, Dpr, Dpm, His (Bzl)HyPro, thienyl-Ala, cyclohexyl-Ala and t.-butyl-Ala, the residue Lys of said sequence corresponding to the residue Lys.sup.9 of the native somatostatin-14, in free form, in salt form or complexed with a detectable element have interesting pharmacological properties.|
|Inventor(s):||Albert; Rainer (Basel, CH), Bauer; Wilfried (Lampenberg, CH), Bruns; Christian (Freiburg, DE), Chandramouli; Nagarajan (Morristown, NJ), Lewis; Ian (Riehen, CH), Weckbecker; Gisbert (Biel-Benken, CH)|
|Assignee:||Novartis AG (Basle, CH)|
1. A somatostatin analogue which is a hexapeptide unit numbered from 1 to 6, the residues at positions 3 through 6 of said hexapeptide unit having the sequence of formula I
wherein X.sub.1 is a radical of formula (a) or (b) ##STR14##
wherein R.sub.1 is optionally substituted phenyl,
R.sub.2 is --Z.sub.1 CH.sub.2 --R.sub.1, --CH.sub.2 --CO--O--CH.sub.2 --R.sub.1, ##STR15##
wherein Z.sub.1 is O or S, and
X.sub.2 is an .alpha.-amino acid having an aromatic residue on the C.sub..alpha. side chain, or an amino acid unit selected from Dab, Dpr, Dpm, His, (Bzl)HyPro, thienyl-Ala, cyclohexyl-Ala and t.-butyl-Ala,
the residue Lys of said sequence corresponding to the residue Lys.sup.9 of the native somatostatin-14, or a chelate thereof, in free form or in salt or complex form.
2. A somatostatin analogue according to claim 1 in which the hexapeptide unit is cyclic with a direct peptide linkage between the .alpha.-carbonyl group of the residue at position 6 and the .alpha.-amino group of the residue at position 1, or a chelate thereof, in free form or in salt or complex form.
3. A somatostatin analogue according to claim 1 which is a compound of formula (II) ##STR16##
X.sub.1 and X.sub.2 are as in claim 1,
A is a divalent residue selected from the group consisting of Pro, ##STR17##
wherein R.sub.3 is NR.sub.8 R.sub.9 -C.sub.2-6 alkylene, guanidino-C.sub.2-6 alkylene or C.sub.2-6 alkylene-COOH, R.sub.3a is H, C.sub.1-4 alkyl or has independently one of the significances given for R.sub.3, R.sub.3b is H or C.sub.1-4 alkyl, R.sub.a is OH or NR.sub.5 R.sub.6, R.sub.b is --(CH.sub.2).sub.1-3 -- or --CH(CH.sub.3)--, R.sub.4 is H or CH.sub.3, R.sub.4a is optionally ring-substituted benzyl, each of R.sub.5 and R.sub.6 independently is H, C.sub.1-4 alkyl, .omega.-amino-C.sub.1-4 alkylene, .omega.-hydroxy-C.sub.1-4 alkylene or acyl, R.sub.7 is a direct bond or C.sub.1-6 alkylene, each of R.sub.8 and R.sub.9 independently is H, C.sub.1-4 alkyl, .omega.-hydroxy-C.sub.2-4 alkylene, acyl or CH.sub.2 OH--(CHOH).sub.c --CH.sub.2 -- wherein c is 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4, or R.sub.8 and R.sub.9 form together with the nitrogen atom to which they are attached a heterocyclic group which may comprise a further heteroatom, and R.sub.11 is optionally ring-substituted benzyl, --(CH.sub.2).sub.1-3 --OH, CH.sub.3 --CH(OH)-- or --(CH.sub.2).sub.1-5 --NR.sub.5 R.sub.6, and
ZZ.sub.a is a natural or unnatural .alpha.-amino acid unit, or a chelate thereof, in free form or in salt or complex form.
4. A somatostatin analogue according to claim 1 wherein A comprises an amino group bearing a chelating group, in free form, in salt form or complexed with a detectable element.
5. A process for the production of a somatostatin analogue according to claim 1 comprising
a) removing at least one protecting group which is present in a somatostatin analogue comprising a residue of formula I, the somatostatin analogue being in protected form, or
b) linking together by an amide bond two peptide units, each of them containing at least one amino acid in protected or unprotected form, wherein the amide bond is in such a way that the desired amino acid sequence is obtained and, where required, effecting process step a), or
c) removing a functional group of an unprotected or a protected somatostatin peptide or converting it into another functional group so that another unprotected or protected peptide is obtained and in the latter case stage a) of the process is effected, or
d) to produce a chelated somatostatin analogue linking together a chelating agent and a non-chelated somatostatin analogue in protected or unprotected form and comprising a free amino group in such a way that the chelating group is fixed on the desired amino group of the somatostatin analogue, and stage a) is then optionally effected
and recovering the somatostatin analogue thus obtained in free form, in salt form or optionally complexed with a detectable element.
6. A pharmaceutical composition comprising a pharmaceutical acceptable carrier or diluent and a therapeutically effective amount of a somatastatin analogue according to claim 1 or a chelate thereof, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt or a complex with a detectable element.
7. A method of treating disorders with an aetiology comprising or associated with excess GH-secretion, gastro-intestinal disorders, malignant cell proliferative diseases, angiogenesis, or of preventing or combating graft vessel diseases, restenosis and vascular occlusion following vascular injury, which method comprises administering to a subject in need of such treatment a therapeutically effective amount of a somatostatin analogue of claim 1 or a chelate thereof, or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt or a complex with a detectable element.
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.