|Title:||Gelling ophthalmic compositions containing xanthan gum|
|Abstract:||Ophthalmic drug delivery vehicles which are administrable as a liquid and which gel upon contact with the eyes are disclosed. The vehicles contain xanthan gum.|
|Inventor(s):||Bawa; Rajan (Fort Collins, CO), Hall; Rex E. (Fort Worth, TX), Kabra; Bhagwati P. (Arlington, TX), Teague; James E. (Arlington, TX)|
|Assignee:||Alcon Laboratories, Inc. (Fort Worth, TX)|
1. An improved ophthalmic composition comprising xanthan gum, wherein the improvement comprises the composition having a total ionic strength of about 120 mM or less and the xanthan gum
having an initial bound acetate content of at least about 4% and an initial bound pyruvate content of at least about 2.5%, provided that the composition does not contain locust bean gum.
2. The composition of claim 1 wherein the amount of xanthan gum is from about 0.1 to about 1% (w/w).
3. The composition of claim 1 further comprising an ophthalmic drug.
4. The composition of claim 3 wherein the drug is selected from the group consisting of anti-glaucoma agents; anti-infective agents; non-steroidal and steroidal anti-inflammatory agents; growth factors; immunosuppressant agents; and anti-allergic agents.
5. The composition of claim 4 wherein the drug is selected from the group consisting of timolol; brimonidine; tobramycin; ciprofloxacin; rimexolone; olopatadine; latanoprost; 15-keto-latanoprost; fluprostenol isopropyl ester; isopropyl [2R(1E,3R),3S(4Z),4R]-7-[tetrahydro-2-[4-(3-chlorophenoxy)-3-hydroxy-1-but enyl]-4-hydroxy-3-furanyl]-4-heptenoate; and the pharmaceutically acceptable salts thereof.
6. The composition of claim 1 further comprising one or more agents selected from the group consisting of buffering agents; preservatives; tonicity-adjusting agents; surfactants; solubilizing agents; stabilizing agents; comfort-enhancing agents; emollients; pH-adjusting agents; lubricants; and drug carrier substrates.
7. The composition of claim 1 wherein the xanthan gum forms a gel having an elastic modulus (G') of approximately 130 Pa when measured in the Lysozyme Gel Strength Test.
8. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition has a total ionic strength of about 94 mM or less.
9. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition comprises tobramycin or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt of tobramycin, a preservative, a pH-adjusting agent, a tonicity adjusting agent, and xanthan gum.
10. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition comprises timolol or a pharmaceutically acceptable salt of timolol, a preservative, a pH-adjusting agent.
11. The composition of claim 10 wherein the composition comprises timolol maleate, benzododecinium bromide, tromethamine, boric acid, mannitol, and polysorbate 80.
12. The composition of claim 1 wherein the composition is intended for treating dry eye and comprises a pH-adjusting agent and a tonicity adjusting agent.
13. The composition of claim 12 wherein the amount of xanthan gum is 0.4-0.8% (w/w).
Drugs may be covered by multiple patents or regulatory protections. All trademarks and applicant names are the property of their respective owners or licensors. Although great care is taken in the proper and correct provision of this service, thinkBiotech LLC does not accept any responsibility for possible consequences of errors or omissions in the provided data. The data presented herein is for information purposes only. There is no warranty that the data contained herein is error free. thinkBiotech performs no independent verifification of facts as provided by public sources nor are attempts made to provide legal or investing advice. Any reliance on data provided herein is done solely at the discretion of the user. Users of this service are advised to seek professional advice and independent confirmation before considering acting on any of the provided information. thinkBiotech LLC reserves the right to amend, extend or withdraw any part or all of the offered service without notice.